Wheels to axles — which Loctite?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Harold_V

Re: Wheels to axles — which Loctite?

Post by Harold_V »

I have never been a true fan of LocTite, but Bill Shields has extended experience with its use in heavy industry. With a little luck, maybe he'll repeat some of his experiences he's related previously.

Properly applied, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it for installing wheels. Still, that would not be my choice, but that doesn't make it wrong.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

optigman wrote: Wed Apr 18, 2018 12:52 am Just following up to see which product you wound up using and if you are happy with the results?
I used 648 for the wheels and 609 for the bearings. I have not yet run them on the track.

I have one set of trucks that I made 10 years or so ago on which I needed to replace one bearing that had been seated with 609. My rather heavy duty puller would not budge the bearing. I had to destroy the outer race and heat the inner race with a torch before it would let go. I am not worried about a failure.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
optigman

Post by optigman »

We use the 648 at work and have never had any problem in the slightest. Maybe after a few years you can post here again to follow up with your experience with "model glue" as some refer to it as ! Happy railroading!!!!!!!!!