Nelson Gray

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

makinsmoke

Nelson Gray

Post by makinsmoke »

The March/April 2018 Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette has an announcement of the last run of Nelson Gray, on December 12, 2017, at the amazing age of 101.

I cannot find enough information to confirm that it is Nelson Gray of 1” scale parts fame, but seeing how so many of us are rubber gaugers, thought I should pass it on.

“Nelson Gray passed away December 12, 2017: he was 101. Nelson was a pioneer designer and manufacturer of Z gauge and Nn3 kits and parts. He had a profound effect on the development of Nn3 through his products, and the articles he wrote about his layout. Early on, Nelson developed some dummy narrow gauge couplers, which were acquired by Keith and Dale Edwards, who used them to start their line of Kadee couplers, and their Micro Trains Line, which included many Nn3 products.” Tom Knapp and Steve Schweighofer.

Sincere apologies if there are indeed two Nelson Grays in the hobby, but reading the above I could not help feeling the Nelson above was one and the same.

Brian
PaulP

Re: Nelson Gray

Post by PaulP »

Hi Brian,

This is indeed the same Nelson Gray. Nelson passed away in December but my father and I had met him in person in 2016 at a train show in Syracuse, NY (Nelson's home town). At the time he was 99 years old and was still as sharp as a tack. He was still working on a 1" scale FP40 in his home shop. Nelson also visited the Finger Lakes Live Steamers in 2017 a club he is an honorary member of. Unfortunately Nelson passed this past December. He is well known for his contributions to all things railroading as well as his line of 1" scale parts, now offered by 1" Scale Railroad supply. Some members of FLLS have been in touch with the family and have found homes for what was left of his shop. The FP40 locomotive was graciously donated to the FLLS and one of the members is currently working on finishing the locomotive. Hope this helps.

-Paul
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Thank you Paul.

I will forward some of his 1” scale and live steam information to the NG&SLG.

Thanks for carrying on his legacy.

If he indeed was the father of the Kadee coupler
line thousands of modelers around the world owe him a debt they know nothing about.

High Greens Nelson.
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

You will find more information on Nelson Gray on the IBLS website:

http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Nelson_Gray

I'd be happy to add further information anyone might have on Mr Gray.

Respectfully,
Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
jeffsmith

Post by jeffsmith »

Lets not forget Barry Printice of Boulder CO. who rescued the Nelson Gray 1" scale line. Totally rebuilt the molding machine and put the items on the market again.
Jeff S.
Sandiapaul

Post by Sandiapaul »

I have a bunch of letters between my dad and Nelson. Even Christmas cards they exchanged.