Locomotive Roller Test Stand

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

bill4227

Locomotive Roller Test Stand

Post by bill4227 »

I am looking to build a simple roller test stand for 0-4-0 1" gauge locomotives. I have done a search with a few pictures showing up. They do not seem to be complicated devices but i was wondering how some of you have done it and what not to do.

Any pictures or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Bill
James Powell

Re: Locomotive Roller Test Stand

Post by James Powell »

4 roller bearings, held at size by a steel framework ? Make sure they are as wide as the wheel tread...and that there is some way to hold the engine in place.

Or, use a pair of bricks ? The point of a test stand is usually not to apply controlled load, but rather to allow the engine to steam on it's own...for my 0-8-0, I just use any handy bits of 2x4 to keep the wheels off the sheet of plywood over the sawhorses...

James
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

this is what i built for my allen american.
simple rollers on bronze, loud but works
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

bill4227 wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:45 pm I am looking to build a simple roller test stand for 0-4-0 1" gauge locomotives.
1" gauge? That's pretty small. The only reason for a rolling stand is to allow a locomotive to operate with the weight on the suspension. Sometimes this can effect the valve timing for a steam locomotive as the drivers are higher in relation to the frame versus just hanging from the frame. Another way to simulate this is to shim the axle blocks to the running position and just put a block under the front and back of the loco to let the wheels turn. I'm not sure how really important this would be for a 1" gauge loco though. Is this live steam?

David
mmichaud1972

Post by mmichaud1972 »

I am using these rollers for my 1 inch scale pacific I am restoring. They come in handy when setting the valve gear and can be set right on the work table. They can also be used on a stand if desired.

Michael M.
Attachments
IMG_2437.JPG
Allen Mogul
Allen Chloe
Fitchburg and Northern
Baldwin #5
Allen American
bill4227

Post by bill4227 »

The main reason for asking is the problem of valve timing. This is a Maxitrak locomotive that i have running smoothly in reverse but is terrible forward. Using a roller stand should help get the timing right. Valve gear is Marshall

Bill
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

With Marshall gear you do need to use a roller stand. The wheels need to be loaded at correct ride height. I used Marshall on a couple of locos.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

having used mine a few times now, I would highly suggest having a way to turn the drivers from a roller. when i rebuild the test stand, I will be running a # 25 chain to connect the rollers and route down to a flywheel below the deck. this will allow me to turn the drivers over and adding some momentum, and even allow the adding of a brake for a little load testing..
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi
Here is the locomotive test stand that I now own built by Bill Van Brocklin, the stand was made to test his locomotives in three quarter inch scale. As you can see the stand is just angle iron and rollers, and a coupler on one end. The rollers can be removed and repositioned if needed. The stand is about four feet long and very light, maybe built of Aluminum.
Build by Bill van Brocklin
Build by Bill van Brocklin
Build by Bill Van Brocklin
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

I attached a photo of test rollers that my buddy and I made last year, they're adaptable to any of our engine stands and convert them to test stands in about 30 minutes. We cast the roller bodies in aluminum, and attached the 7/8" OD roller bearings with 1:4" flat head steel screws, the roller bodies clamp to the stand rails via a machined slot and 4 set screws. The open bearings haven't been a problem, I rinse them in kerosene after each use and oil them liberally before each test run. The best part about this arrangement is that it's adaptable to any wheel arrangement and scale. I tested my 1" Atlantic and 1/2" Hudson with them. The engine drive wheels cradle between the bearings and the leading trailing trucks, along with the tender wheels, sit on the solid bars. Make sue you tether the engine to the stand, I use an arrangement of light chain, hooks, springs and turnbuckles to hold the engine in place. This arrangement allows me to add load while the engine is running. Hope this helps. John
Attachments
image.jpeg
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Bill,
Keep in mind that you only need to spin the main driver to set the timing. Perhaps you could come up with an arrangement similar to the one I built to time full size locomotives. I can spin the wheelset using a 3 foot ratchet and can make micro adjustments for timing purposes. Those are 56 inch drivers but I can go up to 80 inchers if necessary. A 1/4" ratchet and an extension should be more than ample for our scale.
Attachments
IMG_20150428_100248196.jpg
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
BAdams

Post by BAdams »

Bruce,

Great photo!

Brook