482 night run

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steam Engine Dan

482 night run

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

hey guys, I came across this video of tom miller's K-36 no.482 on a night run. hope you all enjoy it. and keep on steaming. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_k0MuN ... ture=share
Fender

Re: 482 night run

Post by Fender »

Wow, I see why the passengers are riding four cars back from the locomotive!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

WHAT...you have problems with a few holes burned in your clothing????
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

If he is firing with char, that might explain the meteor shower. We had a member who used that for a time and burned a bunch of holes in my pop-up canopy just steaming up! Could just be a serious drafting loco!
Tom Miller

Post by Tom Miller »

I ran char in the locomotive and never had it shower sparks like that. I did however use a spark arrestor that I don't think is installed for this video. The engineer is also giving the throttle a pretty good pull. The loco always drafted very well and never had a problem making steam.
I will be in New Zealand next February and plan to visit my ex K-36 and Big Boy during my visit. I had many years of enjoyment with both locomotives and miss operating them.
Tom
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Quite the show of how coal burners can cause trackside fires so easily. That sort of spark event is exactly the reason why the UP Big Boy tenders were equipped with the special water spray device on the rear of the tender. A spray was emitted from the nozzle on the back of the tender that would keep the first few cars in the train wet enough so any sparks or hot cinders would not start the top of the wood cars on fire.

While steam was in use, many roads would burn the right of the way on each side of the tracks in late spring to eliminate the dry vegetation. Often times photos of the past exhibit the blackened foreground of the weed burner having worked its magic. Photos of the weed burner in action are rare indeed. I saw one that resembled a fire breathing dragon being shoved down the tracks. Would have been a real show to see in in action. Would make an interesting model in 1.5 scale!
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

very cool!!
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Very impressive indeed. I suspect coal burners throw bursts of sparks out the stack all the time. You just don’t see it in the sunlight. Years ago I had a 4-4-4, Jubilee, almost identical to to an Atlantic, with a 12” boiler, that shot spark clouds similar to the video all the time. We didn’t really notice until we did a series of night runs. I was surprised as it was truly a spectacle. Once you look for the tell tale signs in daylight, you can see it is very prevalent. As I remember, although very impressive, most of the sparks are really quite tiny, and burn out well before hitting the ground, often ending up as bits of ash raining down on the cars.

We were burning Indonesia coal, so,perhaps that contriubuted to the show.

Glenn

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....