Boiler Kits from A. J. Reeves

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

H&NERY

Boiler Kits from A. J. Reeves

Post by H&NERY »

I see Reeves has 20% off all their 3 1/2" gauge castings until Sunday, I need a boiler for a 3 12" gauge Virginia I purchased some time ago. They list this as a kit, has anyone ever purchased a "Boiler Kit" from Reeves? My question is what does it all consist of?
gwrdriver

Re: Boiler Kits from A. J. Reeves

Post by gwrdriver »

I have purchased several Reeves formed plates sets, because there was a time when I could buy the plates for about what the copper would cost here. But that was then and things (costs) are different now. Their quality was always excellent, until the last set to come my way, which is for a 2.5"ga locomotive, and in that set the throat plate was mal-formed and will need to be remade. Probably because someone without an understanding of what the throat plate has to do formed the plate.

The Reeves "kits" would be either of two things. . . it could be a set of formed copper plates only, typically consisting of five plates: a front tube sheet, the throat plate, the back head, and the front and rear inner firebox heads. A full kit would consist of all the above plus raw copper material for the flues and other tubes, bar stock for the mud ring, bushings and dome base, the boiler barrel (either in the flat or tube), and sheet stock for the inner and outer firebox wrappers. I'm uncertain whether these "kits" would include fasteners (screws, rivets, etc).

An email to confirm what the sale "kits" consist of would be advisable.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Abby

Post by Abby »

Before buying the kit from Reeves it would be worth contacting GB boilers (also in the UK) the owner worked for Reeves making their boilers for several years before starting his own business.
I believe he has the formers for this particular boiler and his prices are very competetive.
Unfortunately I do not have his email to hand but he advertises in ME.
Dan.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Copper boiler kits are usually a good thing and typically, the kit costs less than if you had to price everything out separately. I bought a full copper boiler from Blackgates, they are usually less than Reeves, although with the 20% discount, you may do better than Blackgates. The kit I purchased was a complete flat materials kit, that is, none of the plates were flanged. I was making a boiler for a Super Simplex for 4-3/4" gauge instead of 5" gauge. As a result, the boiler had to be a little narrower than the drawing, so, I flanged my own plates. As GRWdriver has mentioned, a full set, at least from Blackgates, includes everything including copper rivets for making the stays. They also offer the correct material for all of the bushings.

Here's a photo of a full copper boiler kit from Blackgate's minus the bushing material:
DSCN1016 - resized.jpg
If you want to see how to shape and silver solder all of these pieces, here's a link to my website that may be useful:
https://supersimplex.yolasite.com/Plates-and-Tubes.php
If you navigate through the site, there is a second page for completing the boiler and a separate page showing how to flange and form the plates.
David
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

I emailed Reeves and this is what they said was included:
Please find below a list of what is included in the Virginia boiler kit.

Barrel
Outer wrapper
Inner wrapper
Smokebox tubeplate
Throatplate
Backhead
Firebox tubeplate
Firebox doorplate
Superheater flues
Plain flue tubes
Crownstays
Long stay
Blower stay
Cross stays
Firehole ring
Foundation ring material
Firebox stays

The barrel and flange plates are supplied as flat material and therefore require rolling/flanging.

They no longer offer flanged plates, but I want to learn how to do this anyway, I also sent an email to Blackgates, they have not replied yet, but by the way their catalog looks the do not offer the large boiler for Virginia. It looks like its going to cost me $516.70 for everything with shipping.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

In addition to fasteners, you'll need bar material for bushings. Phos Bronze (CD510) makes excellent bushing stock and SAE660 bearing bronze will also do. Copper could be used, but it won't hold a thread well over time. Don't use brass, . . anywhere.
Drill the holes for the bushings first, then turn the bushings to a tap-fit in the holes. This will make them "self-jigging" and they'll stay put while you are soldering.
When you make the bushings, start the threads in the lathe, just a couple of turns, and finish the thread after the silver-soldering is done. This will prevent localized overheating and burned threads.
A boiler doesn't need to be riveted or screwed to death, virtually all the joint strength in a silver soldered copper boiler is in the solder, not the screws. You need only use what's required to hold everything in place while soldering takes place, BUT everything does need to held securely in place.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
H&NERY

Post by H&NERY »

Blackgates did get back to me, much better price plus they offer the flanged plates, also comes with bushing material.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

This is pretty typical for Blackgates. If you are patient, they will usually have the best price. Same goes for their castings and other materials.

David