THE GG1 STARTS TO TAKE SHAPE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Tharper

Re: THE GG1 STARTS TO TAKE SHAPE

Post by Tharper »

Hello David,

I know what you mean in regards to rattle can primer. The only way I can work with it is wet sanding - otherwise I end-up with reams of clogged paper.
Brunswick Carshops

Re: THE GG1 STARTS TO TAKE SHAPE

Post by Brunswick Carshops »

There has been some work with "Tempering" or "Annealing" PLA parts. Depending on how you have your machine set-up with infill, number of outer rings, etc., the shrinkage is purported to be around 2-5% X and Y and about the same growth in the Z(see "hackaday" link below). Essentially the material is being remelted and realigned to alleviate print lines. Using a smaller diameter nozzle and running less than 50% nozzle diameter layer heights (which goes against what many experts say) will make an even greater difference.

In the picture below, the grey Ipad stand on the left is 20% infill, 0.175 mm layer heights on a 0.4 mm nozzle and two rounds for the wall thickness. The orange wall hook (that I made and never mounted) on the right is 35% infill with 1 round of wall thickness. Layer heights are consistent. I am running an el-cheapo imported Acrylic frames Prusa I3 clone. It's good for making test parts.
IMG_3734.JPG
Here is a good link to some info about annealing parts.... https://hackaday.com/2017/03/24/half-ba ... -the-oven/
~ John Sommer ~

Whats' the fastest way to make a million dollars in racing? Start with two!- Frank Rio