THE GG1 STARTS TO TAKE SHAPE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

THE GG1 STARTS TO TAKE SHAPE

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi All
About a month ago I discovered a 1 Inch scale GG1 site on Face Book. I was looking thru the pictures and discovered that the builder of this 1 inch model was using the wrong driver print. This is a common mistake. The print being used was that of the R1 62 inch 7 spoke wheel.

The R1 was a prototype locomotive that only one was ever made. It was in competition with the GG1 design and lost because of it being too ridged and prone to derailments.

I mentioned this to the builder and he promptly came back to me with the statement. " check your drawing sources" Well This \sort of upset me when I was willing to share my extensive collection of GG1 prints with him.

Well I decided to draw up one and make a pattern and get some cast in iron.

My casting friend DavidF on this forum offered to make up a 3D print of it .

This is it pictured below I will use it as a master to make repro's and mount two on a match plate.
Attachments
20180420_151617.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
ALCOSTEAM

Re: THE GG1 STARTS TO TAKE SHAPE

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Dave are you building those parts to 1" or 1.5" scale
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

1 1/2
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Its cool to see 3D printers being used more for pattern making at a hobby level. I just printed out a cylinder pattern (for a model IC enigne) yesterday on my 3D printer.
-Frank K.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yes it is cool but has it's draw backs. I have to coat the pattern with something to fill in the print lines so the pattern will draw from the sand cleanly.
DavidF he is the person who printed for me said to use a special coating that auto bady guys use to fill in things on automobiles. I could use a thin coat of bondo but whatever I use would require lots of sanding.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

I have not tried filling 3d printed materials yet, but I can see some difficulty that could arise from lack of adhesion to the filament used... Wonder what folks out there have used thus far.
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

There is a process now to smooth out the pattern/model. I saw a demo @ Eastec last year, very good idea.
steamer
Tharper

Post by Tharper »

Very Nice!

The layering in a 3D print can be an issue. I do in fact use a skim coat of bondo since the PLA filament I typically use doesn't sand well. There is also a specific paint you can use. Its fairly quick to sand down the bondo and follow-up with a couple of sanded coats of primer. If your using ABS you can use Acetone fumes which actually softens and smooths the plastic but the one time I used that method it distorted the pattern.
IMG_4133.JPG
Recently I have been milling a number of patterns on the CNC mill. Granted its not for every application but where it does apply it's wonderful!
IMG_0982.jpg
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

I just spent about an hour sanding down a couple of 3D printed patterns this evening...and I still have a bit more work to do. However I would have probably spent at least two full days making the patterns out of wood if I had not printed them out so I don't mind a few hours of sanding and finishing work.
-Frank K.
Fender

Post by Fender »

It may be possible to polish the patterns in a tumbler to smooth out the ridges. Shapeways offers this service for their “strong flexible” plastic, if the part is below a certain size.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Hey Tharper, long time no see...

Evercoat 4:1 primer (sprayable bondo) Is about the best I have found for priming 3d printed patterns. Unfortunately it has to be mixed and sprayed.
I would like to find something similar in a rattle can. Ever since they made rattle can primer VOC compliant, It just does not dry properly and clogs the paper when sanding.
DavidF

Post by DavidF »