Eccentric Engineer Large Injector Install

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PeterCraymer

Eccentric Engineer Large Injector Install

Post by PeterCraymer »

Anthony Duarte has designed an injector that has awesome performance. I bought the injector many months ago and have been admiring it but have not had the time to install it on my 10-wheeler until recently. I finally found a couple hours and made a quick and dirty install into the existing plumbing on my loco (please forgive the piping. It’s not my forte!). I was worried that I had 1/4" steam supply and 1/4" outlet to the boiler if this would cause any issues. Well, was I not only surprised, I was impressed and am so happy with the performance of this injector! In the past I had one of the European style made from bar stock that required some serious fiddling to get to pick-up and deliver water. You had to throttle the water, then steam and get a specific looking stream out the overflow and, and, and... With this new injector, I turn on the water full, turn on the steam full and watch my sight glass rise! I performed a couple of scenarios (turn off steam, turn off water etc) and with each one, the injector just picked up and delivered water like God intended them to do! What a great addition to the Live Steam hobby! I look forward to many more products from him. I believe that he is working towards making things for our hobby to be his primary business and source of income, so let’s support him in his success!

His website is www.eccentricengineer.com
Injector 2018 small.jpg
cbrew

Re: Eccentric Engineer Large Injector Install

Post by cbrew »

looks good. i have seen a whole lot worse piping jobs :)
I also have a pair of EE injectors waiting in the wings. but i picked up one large and one of his new 1" scale injectors with the idea of running both.
using the small injector to feed water at a slower rate.
Me and mini Me :)
Me and mini Me :)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
PeterCraymer

Post by PeterCraymer »

It has been a learning curve for us. We installed an arch and a good injector at the same time. The new injector supplies a good bit more water than the old one, so I can kill the pressure pretty quick, so learning to take more small sips instead of big ones! The old injector was so finicky that we didn't want to mess with it so much while running as it was such a distraction to get to pick up and deliver and now we can add water whenever we want! The arch has helped keep coal out of the flues but requires more smaller shovelfuls to make the fire stay even. Neither is wrong. just different!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Nice, this hobby is all about learning.
I did the same with the Allen American rebuild. new arch and all. really made a difference for the better.
my plan for these two EE injectors are for the allen ten wheeler to light pacific build. so results will likely be a while.
happy steaming
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

You almost could use the small injector on a large locomotive like how the real railroads used feedwater heaters. Since it pumps less water, you can leave it on longer when working up a grade which minimizes the temp drop in the boiler. This is similar to how for example on the Union pacific 844 the worthington FWH is nearly always slowly pumping when the engine is working.
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Thank you very much for the report, Peter!

I will be finishing 18 more Standard injectors this week. They are the last of this batch. If anyone is interested let me know; they are not all spoken for.

-Anthony
heislerboy

Post by heislerboy »

Anthony I would take one of those 18 standard injector.

Andrew S
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Andrew, PM sent.

-Anthony
Tractorjimm

Post by Tractorjimm »

I am quite interested in the purchase of a Standard Injector for my Harpur Mogul. When will they be available and how can I get on the list?
James.haury@cox.net
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I installed one of Anthony'x small injectors on my 1-1/2 scale LE American earlier in the spring. It actually delivers water too fast for such a small engine but I have found I can throttle it to some degree. (Not sure how much - have to do more experimenting.)