Ever seen an injector cut in half?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

Ever seen an injector cut in half?

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Don't worry, no good injectors were harmed in the making of this cross section! This Small Scale injector body (#045) had a tumble and was deemed unusable.

I brought this "half sized" injector with me to Riverside and people seemed to really enjoy looking at it, so here it is for you to enjoy as well. A lot of work goes into these little buggers. If anything they're more difficult to make than the Standard injector.

-Anthony
Small Scales Injector Cross Section
Small Scales Injector Cross Section
Greg_Lewis

Re: Ever seen an injector cut in half?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

I am at a loss for words. No matter, because my eyeballs just fell out and I wouldn't be able to type anyway.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

One picture worth a thousand words!!!
~RN
optigman

Post by optigman »

The picture came out surprisingly good and is fun to see everything in place. Thank you for attending the Spring meet at Riverside Live Steamers and I hope your visit was both pleasurable and profitable. Everyone was very excited to get the opportunity to meet you as well as see your ultra high quality products that you had on display. It is my hope that you are very successful in product sales and new products brought to market. I know there has been much talk and excitement and many are eagerly awaiting to see what you will come out with next. It would be nice to see boiler checks, safety valves, globe valves, and other fine quality products join your already successful injectors! Great job Anthony and keep up the good work. optigman
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

So...how did you section it? Not always the easiest thing to do with multi-part assembles. Just amazing. It makes it so much clearer as to how it works.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

here is one of the English ones in section.
Attachments
INJECTOR_cut-a-way no8.jpg
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I come from a lifetime in full-size traction and a good injector is the Holy Grail - they are hard to find and coveted by any thresherman or sawyer. To see on cut in half is disturbing! ;)
RET

Post by RET »

Hi Anthony,

I'm impressed on a number of levels. First, your picture is perfectly sharp and clear so it is easy to see all the detail in both the drawing and the injector cross section. The drawing helps in understanding the injector cross section detail. A beautiful job!

By comparison to yours, the English injectors are simple, but they do work (I have a couple). From your picture, it is obvious that you fully understand both the theory and the mechanics of injector operation and the extra complexity means that your injectors will work better and more reliably. Your design also has a number of advantages because it can be disassembled for cleaning and any damaged parts can be replaced without having to buy a new injector.

My final comment is very simple, "Wow."

Richard Trounce.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

That is the only thing worth doing with an English injector!!
Here is a cutaway drawing of a Penberthy.
Attachments
penberthy cutaway.jpg
penberthy cutaway.jpg (17.7 KiB) Viewed 5725 times
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Steven E. Kuhn

Post by Steven E. Kuhn »

Fred_V wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:07 am That is the only thing worth doing with an English injector!!

Hahahaha, yes glad someone said it first!!
Steven E. Kuhn

Post by Steven E. Kuhn »

Anthony! thank you. I'd love to find a way to make a good large copy and put it on my workshop wall. Drawings I've seen but this is a first and really is nice to look at! You should add that photo to your website!!

Steve Kuhn
philbert

Post by philbert »

Fred_V wrote: Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:49 am here is one of the English ones in section.
Which side is goes to the boiler? And what holds the ball down in the top? Vacuum? Pressure? Dark wizards?!