0-6-0 Linkage Geometry Anyone?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rkcarguy

0-6-0 Linkage Geometry Anyone?

Post by rkcarguy »

I'm curious if anyone has drawings for a USRA 0-6-0 as far as all the linkage, cylinder bore and stroke, and reversing linkage that I could draw in CAD and upscale to 2" scale?
I'm just looking for dimensions all relative to each other.
James Powell

Re: 0-6-0 Linkage Geometry Anyone?

Post by James Powell »

You could, but I would suggest taking the #'s from upscaling valve gear, and put it into Docksteader's valve gear program, and see what the valve gear looks like. The other choice would be to take the full sized and scale it down ?
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Roger Goldman makes a 1.5 scale USRA 0-6-0. I'd give him a call, I bet he'd sell you a drawing set.

http://modelsteamengines.tripod.com/id13.html
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I emailed RG and I'll see what he says, thanks for the link. I really only need the full geometry, I can draw all the parts I need around that. I've already drawn the locomotive itself based off of the original basic blueprints, but it has no linkage or anything and the cylinders are just roughed in so they look about right.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

In fact, I will probably be even editing the geometry some. The L-9 Model here locally has slide valves and the front axle is moved further forward so the spacing isn't an even 5'-6" like the regular USRA 0-6-0's.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

What gauge are you building for 2inch scale?
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I am already building a "diesel" S-12 Baldwin switcher, see my working railroad post in grand scales if interested.
The funny part is, I'm going to have to dole out about $1000 for hydraulics to get it running. Being I work at a fab and machine shop, I can make my own parts and utilize scraps and remnants for almost all of a steamer. I'm in no hurry, but I might as well draw it up, and get it broken down into parts so as the opportunity comes I can get them made.
Because I wanted to have a nice wide gage for hauling trash and firewood on my property(no tip-overs), yet still be able to transport my loco's and rolling stock in the back of my pickup, I am doing 2" scale on 12" gage groovy-track type track, so no it's not to scale, as in 2" it should be about 9-7/16" gage.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Some guys are already building in 9" gauge, I think. You should use that gauge also.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I don't have any tracks nearby, the only one is actually Glenn's in progress build which is also 12". That's my reason for going 12".
I haven't heard back from RG about their willingness to sell me a drawing set, so still at a standstill.