Mid-South LS Spring Meet

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Berkman

Re: Mid-South LS Spring Meet

Post by Berkman »

What happened to the super detailed Missouri Pacific 4-6-2 that I've seen photos of from there?
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Haven't seen that engine in a while. Don't know who owned it, but I do remember it. There have been a lot of engines visit over the years. Some I see periodically, some just once or twice and that's it. There are some locomotives that I used to see at every single meet that disappeared a long time ago, usually when something happened to the owner, or it got sold.

We have no plans to expand our track any. We currently have about 14,000 to 15,000 total feet of track, which is more than enough to keep maintained and operational, especially in a public park type setting. We have replaced/rebuilt about 65% of our main line in the past 5 years, and we've also rebuilt two or three yards, re-decked nearly all the bridges, and have built a new shed over the steaming bays. Volunteers have also put new roofs on our storage buildings, re-worked the lights in the pavilion, and stripped and re-pained the 3 foot gauge display locomotive nearby.
Because of continuous improvements and rebuilding of track, what was our best sections of track only 3 or 4 years ago are now some of the worst. We'll work our way around to them when we get the chance. We also have another yard or two to do some serious work on. There's always something needing attention.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

765nkp wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 10:04 pm 7.5ga track. Fred, you have a green engine. You should have been there. BTW, my son Zach in the last picture with his Mikado is the little kid that used to sit in the coal bunker behind my Berkshire and run it all day about 15 years ago. He is now 17.

Tim
I remember seeing him sitting in your lap. Start them young!!
I have now switched from green to red with the new engine. I sold the motorhome so I don't travel as much and we have a track down here now so I just run there.
Attachments
Hunslet 53.jpg
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Nice looking engine Fred, hope to see it someday up here.

Tim
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Found out that a Doctor from over near Memphis, TN owns that nice MP Pacific. I was told that a lot of the work on it was done by the late Bob Wilson, who also built a beautiful I.C.R.R. Mountain in 7 1/2" gauge. I haven't seen the pacific at one of our meets in several years.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Here are a few photos I found
Attachments
2000-Spring-116.jpg
2000-Spring-117.jpg
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

This the IC 4-8-2 you mentioned ?
Attachments
1999-Spring-064.jpg
dwilloughby

Post by dwilloughby »

Looks like one of Buss Sutch's locomtoives.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That is not the ICRR mountain that was built by Bob Wilson. That one is very nice, but it looks like it was based on LE castings, and Bob's was not.
Bob's locomotive sits in the Lynnville Railroad Museum about 20 miles south of Columbia, TN.
1328941773711-img_0352.jpg
I think it took Bob about 30 years to build this locomotive. Sorry I don't have a better picture of it, as it is truly magnificent. I've seen it off-and-on for the past 20 years now, and I've never taken a picture of it. Maybe I need to do that.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Very nice. That looks like similar castings to this:
Attachments
MidSouth+Apr08-DSC06623.jpg
John_S

Post by John_S »

So glad to see the roof over the steaming bays! Wish I could have made it up there for the meet; perhaps in the fall this go-round.