RANT THREAD?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

makinsmoke

Re: RANT THREAD?

Post by makinsmoke »

Or frustration reaching the peak point,
resulting in a full outfield toss of the offending
Part/Tool (your choice), then realizing after a breath or two, you’ll have to go get a flashlight
and walk out into the darkness to retrieve it....

I’m slowly mastering the “fake” toss. Achieving full windup, complete with the proper accompanying language, then the full speed toss.

Ending with a tendon wrenching, blood pounding grab of the item, preventing it disappearing into the night.

There’s just no closure in that.....
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Sometimes a spider will appear at the perfect moment(I'm using the torch for example), therefore it's present to receive the wrath needing to go somewhere. They kind of squeak before they pop. Having had a chunk of flesh cut from my leg as a teen due to a spider bite, I have no remorse.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

DianneB wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 1:21 pm Reminds me of another one! Tiny hex-head nuts/bolts on models with no known wrench size! Not Imperial, not Metric ... British, maybe, they have some WEIRD sizes!
B.A. (British Association) threads have their own special hex sizes, not to mention the bolt diameters and special pitches. To use them, you must have a set of B.A. spanners!
David
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

When I’m in a similar situation....my wife accuses me of using “railway esperanto!”
I picked up an “interesting” vocabulary working on the railroad.
Kimball McGinley

Post by Kimball McGinley »

My dad used to speak of "The innate orneriness of inanimate objects".
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

On snagging hoses:
If you are working with any kind of hose, line, or rope, it will snag when you pull it such that you'll have to climb down off the roof to unsnag it. But if you want to loop it around something, you won't be able to do it, and you'll have to climb down off the roof to loop it.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Murphy's Law:
What can go wrong, WILL go wrong.

O-Tool's Corollary:
Murphy was a optimist!

~RN
rspringer

Post by rspringer »

I broke my last 1/4 endmill today, will be end of week before I can get anymore. Ordered them last week but used the wrong cc.. My own dumb fault.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

And another one: You have just finished that PERFECT paint job, the one you have spent hours on to get just the right finish. You clean up the painting equipment and put it away. When you return to your work to admire that perfect finish, there is a bug stuck right in the middle of the fresh paint! :D
John_S

Post by John_S »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Fri May 11, 2018 7:24 pm On snagging hoses:
If you are working with any kind of hose, line, or rope, it will snag when you pull it such that you'll have to climb down off the roof to unsnag it. But if you want to loop it around something, you won't be able to do it, and you'll have to climb down off the roof to loop it.
Ditto for electrical cords. It WILL snag no matter what. Not only that, but it will snag in a way that if you were trying to snag it you could spend a year attempting that particular snag and never make it happen on purpose.
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

DianneB wrote: Sat May 12, 2018 7:24 amAnd another one: You have just finished that PERFECT paint job, the one you have spent hours on to get just the right finish. You clean up the painting equipment and put it away. When you return to your work to admire that perfect finish, there is a bug stuck right in the middle of the fresh paint! :D
Been there, done that, and have used my...er...extensive...er...vocabulary (also developed while in the Navy) to berate the bug.

I could come up with many reasons for a rant, but in my occupation, part of which involves technical and systems software engineering in assembly language, there is a particular sequence of events that always succeeds in causing me to unload a stream of invective—and that sequence is happening as I speak. :x

Right now, I am scratch-developing the firmware for a custom single-board computer—what code jockeys refer to as "bare metal development." Initially, nothing works until enough code has been developed to do some basic input/output on the machine. As there are no clues left behind if the software isn't working, I utilize a procedure that, in theory, will always leave me with some degree of working software.

Not today, it isn't!

Today, I got something working, moved on to the next step which builds on top of what was already working—and now nothing is working. :twisted: Further exasperating me, I went back to the last working version and now it doesn't work as well! :? The stupid machine just sits there, stares at me and gives me the royal finger.

I am so tempted to take that dumb computer over to the nearby railroad track and let Amtrak run over it, except it's a hand-built prototype and there's only the one unit. So I can't vent my frustration by engaging in destruction and must settle for swearing.

%$#@%$#@**#@^Q#&@^#%&@^%#@#&^%@&#^%@&#%^@!!!

There! I already feel better (I think).
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

BigDumbDinosaur wrote: Mon May 14, 2018 12:06 am..... nothing works until enough code has been developed to do some basic input/output on the machine. As there are no clues left behind if the software isn't working....
I spent my lengthy career in electronics repair and design, starting in the days of vacuum tubes, through computers, and ending in networking.

In the days of analogue, problems could be easily traced because, if you were close, you would have an indication that it was working and you could probe intermediate points to figure out where the signal died. With the transition to digital, it was like having 1,000 switches in a sealed box and nothing worked until all 1,000 switches were in the proper position - no indication of being "close" - it either fully works or does nothing! :mrgreen: