RANT THREAD?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rkcarguy

Re: RANT THREAD?

Post by rkcarguy »

steamfarewell.jpg
A friendly jab at the steam guys :lol:
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Many years ago I used a coupler anchor to hold equipment against both front/back and up/down forces. The trailer popped off the hitch unexpectedly, the trailer tongue hit the ground while I was in motion and hit the back of the truck. It wasn't that severe but the jolt broke both the loco and riding car loose in the trailer and what broke on the car was the coupler. Snapped right off at the neck. I would only use a coupler anchor as an aid in loading.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 3:15 pm Many years ago I used a coupler anchor to hold equipment against both front/back and up/down forces. The trailer popped off the hitch unexpectedly, the trailer tongue hit the ground while I was in motion and hit the back of the truck. It wasn't that severe but the jolt broke both the loco and riding car loose in the trailer and what broke on the car was the coupler. Snapped right off at the neck. I would only use a coupler anchor as an aid in loading.
Force is measured over distance, so lets say you hit something and come to a stop abruptly, and pull 7G's in the stop. That's 7000#'s of force for a 1000# locomotive, and that's going to probably break something. Now lets say you take an old strut/spring assembly from a car, and place it in your coupler anchor fabrication, such that the locomotive can move forward against the strut/spring, the distance it will travel will greatly reduce the force and it's not likely to harm anything.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Greg...understand your concern. However, the coupler anchor is not the only means to secure the rolling stock. Another coupler anchor is sometimes used at the tail end of the equipment to keep equipment jostling fore/aft. Sine the coupler pocket does not really hold the equipment to the transport rails, ratchet straps are used to snug equipment down and forward. Ratchet straps are used in the rear and at time up front as well. Sometimes, bungee cords are also used to minimize any rockin' 'n rollin' side sway during transit.

And if you happen to be transporting a steam loco in an enclosed van...do yourself a favor...put some tape over the bell ringer to secure. That'll drive you nuts after the first few miles. Don't ask how I know. Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

in from a another long day getting crap ready, the first car was loaded on the truck, its going to work just fine
first load.jpg
I realize the ring is backward in this pic i need to turn it around.
tiedown.jpg
loaded cart,
cartload.jpg
one last add on for carrying the tender when the travel trailer is in tow
trackextend.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Awesome~
RN
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

So,
Back to ranting.

I remembered today, through intense exertion and Navy words,
what a pita it is to install the headstock clamps and bolts on a
Southbend Heavy 10.....
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

How about a reverse rant? I took the seat board for my new center-bench riding car to an upholstery shop. The owner didn't show up when he said he would (second time) and the helper said it would be four to six weeks lead time and estimated about $200. I decided this was not the shop for me so I went to the wholesale upholstery supply place and got the foam and fabric for $75 and finished the job in about an hour. And once again I failed to screw it up, so it looks just fine.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

Don't you hate it when you join a machining forum and it suddenly turns into a train forum? Seems like that happens to me all the time.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

SteveHGraham wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:21 pm Don't you hate it when you join a machining forum and it suddenly turns into a train forum? Seems like that happens to me all the time.
The topic IS "live steam" and locomotives is 1/3 of the hobby or more.
SteveHGraham

Post by SteveHGraham »

The topic of this subforum is live steam. As the membership gets older, it seems like less and less stuff appears in the non-train areas. If you use the "New Posts" link, often it's nothing but trains.

I have a feeling that's the future of Chaski. When I need answers, I'll have to go bother the hipsters on CNCZone. I'll have to grow a beard and wear skinny jeans.
Every hard-fried egg began life sunny-side up.
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

You mean something like this Steve?

Sorry but I had to, Vic
Attachments
IMG_4253.JPG
For Duty and Humanity