MEG Wendy on Coal

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

Re: MEG Wendy on Coal

Post by ChipsAhoy »

I've got to stare at your pics for a bit to digest it all... great photos by the way! Thx
I can't quite see your vertical arc in the last photo... yet. Are you talking about the end plate that is bolted to the front of the grates?
Do you suppose that the lower tubes could actually be sucking cold air?
On Jims burner, what are the brass fittings on the front all about?
Griner suggest, maybe handy to have a removable "ash tray" to easily facilitate ash removal on the fly. Thoughts?
This is super input guys, thank you very much!
Scotty
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

Yes the 'arch' is the front end plate, opposite the larger plate with the fire door in it. It allows gasses from the fire to come up and over the top 1/3rd of the firebox and then down into that 4" long area to distribute into the tubes.

The plate sides and bottom form fits the firebox so nothing is getting by it, only hot gas from the top of the fire is getting into that forward area.

On Jim's burner, those fittings are actually on the rear, which is missing, and the other end is the front arch or baffle plate. I modified my rear plate with the door on it to fit his burners.

I use an 8X8 metal baking pan to rake the ashes into, along with a little chute type item I hold up to the bottom of the firefox to rake into the baking pan. (the baking pan cannot come right up to the boiler due to the plumbing)
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

Got it! Makes sence to me now. Scratching my head to think up a third/center row of burners. Need an octagonal manifold pipe?
I still am partial to the simplicity of the slotted burner, anxious to see your design. Do you (or Jim S) know, was the original MEG burner inadquate or somehow problematic?
Griners idea for an ash pan is to place the pan in the firebox while running. Then extract it on occasion to empty and immediatly return it to the firebox. The pan may be rolled at a slightly larger dia than the id of the firebox. That would make the edges of the pan contact the firebox inside walls 'helping' to prevent an excessive buildup of ash beneath the pan. It would look like a longitudinal slice of smoke pipe, or a lonnng grain scoop. I think there is something to it after perfecting it.
Scotty
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

ChipsAhoy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 am Got it! Makes sence to me now. Scratching my head to think up a third/center row of burners. Need an octagonal manifold pipe?
Yes a fabricated manifold rather than a square tube would be necessary.
ChipsAhoy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 amI still am partial to the simplicity of the slotted burner, anxious to see your design. Do you (or Jim S) know, was the original MEG burner inadquate or somehow problematic?
I've never tried one, however I do have one here on a MEG that I am finishing for someone else. It never really worked great for Jim Sabin. I'll be putting it on this one and seeing how it does.
ChipsAhoy wrote: Wed May 23, 2018 6:54 amGriners idea for an ash pan is to place the pan in the firebox while running. Then extract it on occasion to empty and immediatly return it to the firebox. The pan may be rolled at a slightly larger dia than the id of the firebox. That would make the edges of the pan contact the firebox inside walls 'helping' to prevent an excessive buildup of ash beneath the pan. It would look like a longitudinal slice of smoke pipe, or a lonnng grain scoop. I think there is something to it after perfecting it.
That's an interesting idea and could work. Just needs a handle sticking out to grab it with, using gloves. I would just roll a piece of sheet metal and make an end to it, for the far end.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada