Inspiration!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

DianneB

Inspiration!

Post by DianneB »

My LE American came with a set of spring-loaded over-pressure cylinder drains but I didn't like them because they didn't drain condensation. I was given a set of steam-operated drains but never was able to have all four working well at the same time - too fiddly on maintenance and no tolerance for +/- and no over-pressure relief - so I decided to make a set of "automatic drains" as per Van Brocklyn design,

I made them with stems to match the 1/4-28 tapping in my cylinder blocks and 1/4-40 into the body of the valve. The combination made it easy to orient the valves as required. I also tapped the plug end of the valve 1/4-28 but was then having trouble finding matching plugs in my junk box. Then it dawned on me that I HAD some plugs tapped 1/4-28 - the original over-pressure drains! So I could have BOTH condensation drain under no pressure AND over-pressure relief in case of hydraulic lock!

Geez I am brilliant! :shock: :roll: ROFL!
New drains.jpg
gwrdriver

Re: Inspiration!

Post by gwrdriver »

Being a slide valve engine, and if the steam ports are correctly located, hydraulic lock would be unlikely as whatever hydraulic pressure occurred would lift the slide valve and force water up the blastpipe, but that being said, you should do whatever makes you feel comfortable with your engine.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
dbyam

Re: Inspiration!

Post by dbyam »

Nice Job! Glad to hear they work well as I am making a set for my Sweet William.