Boiler Washout

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Goodbody

Boiler Washout

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Hi all,

The following pictures may be of interest - this is a steel boiler washout on a 3 inch scale traction engine this weekend.

Unfortunately there aren't many places to use a water jet on these boilers and so I tried a new approach (for me) - a 24 hour soak with a product called Metal Rescue which seems to be widely available in the US. The stuff isn't cheap, around $26 a gallon from Home Depot, and the boiler holds 3 gallons.

I bench-tested a small quantity of the stuff beforehand by soaking some steel, bronze, copper and brass components to check that it wouldn't attack anything other than rust, it seemed to work as advertised so I went ahead and gave it a go.

During soaking the liquid turned from completely clear to roughly the color of old sump oil. A lot of entrained rust particles came out with the liquid on draining as well which was a good sign.

After draining the boiler was thoroughly flushed with clean water - filling the boiler fully with water and then stop/start draining from both front corners of the mud ring until the water ran clear and there were no more particles being flushed. That took eight complete fill/drain cycles. The boiler was then thoroughly dried as usual.

In summary the wash seems to have been successful - a lot of rust was removed and I can now see exposed bare steel on the tubes using a boroscope that was certainly not visible before. The fusible plug began leaking during the soak but this was long overdue for replacement. I have yet to remove the plug to confirm, but strongly suspect that there was a pinhole in the plug that was blocked with rust particles that were dissolved away by the product.

The setup:
IMG_1480.JPG
IMG_1482.JPG

Before (longitudinal stays, firebox crown):
IMG_1488.JPG
IMG_1504.JPG
IMG_1505.JPG
Last edited by Steve Goodbody on Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve Goodbody

Re: Boiler Washout

Post by Steve Goodbody »

After:
IMG_1510.JPG
IMG_1516.JPG
IMG_1519.JPG
IMG_1522.JPG

Drying:
IMG_1533.JPG
IMG_1536.JPG
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

beautiful engine Steve.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That's a lot of crud! what effect did it have on copper, if any?
Steve Goodbody

Post by Steve Goodbody »

Thanks Fred - not built by me but by a very talented chap who won a gold medal at the UK ME exhibition a while ago. I've owned it for a couple of years now and a few things have needed to be sorted out, including figuring our how to get rid of some of the muck accumulated in the boiler during its prior life (hence this thread). It's extremely well built and a lovely engine to work on and run.

Pontiacguy1 - The product is advertised as having no effect on anything other than rust and that certainly seems to be the case. There was no apparent effect on the copper, bronze or brass components and similarly no apparent effect on the plugs and fittings used for the washout. Overall it seems to have done a good job of getting rid of much of the accumulated rust in the boiler and hopefully an ongoing boiler treatment regime will keep things that way.

Best regards
Steve