Storing Aluminum LP tanks

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

sunkenmel

Storing Aluminum LP tanks

Post by sunkenmel »

I would like to know where every one is storing there LP tanks when the are not at the track? I have a stock car with two 20lb. horizontal aluminum tanks.
Yaphank Valley Western
NP317

Re: Storing Aluminum LP tanks

Post by NP317 »

I have a "fuel bunker" near my garage, away from the house and forest.
I store my various fuel tanks there: gas, alcohol model airplane fuel, propane, etc.
~RN
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

I leave the 20 pound BBQ cylinder in the 'gas car' in the (detached) shop/garage when not in use. Gasoline, solvents, and other highly flammable liquids are stored in an old refrigerator outside the shop but I also have acetylene and other 'explosive' materials in the shop so I told the local fire chief that if they ever respond to a fire at my shop, to just get people safely away and let it burn! :shock:
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

DianneB wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:20 am so I told the local fire chief that if they ever respond to a fire at my shop, to just get people safely away and let it burn! :shock:
We went to a garage fire here about 2 years ago, and the chief asked if anyone knew what was inside... my reply was "Everything" ! I'd been in the garage about a week earlier to look for fittings for the little steam wagon's propane system, and there was every kind of paint, solvent, a full sized O/A set, and a stack of plywood that practically reached the roof !. Yes, we were exterior only on that one, until mopping up.

(not my garage, fortunately for me...)

Everyone was OK. Insurance covered most of the losses.

James
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

then we won't discuss the 40# of black powder that I have on the shelf next to my O/A tanks, acetone and other potentially flammable whatnots.... :D
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
DianneB

Post by DianneB »

Bill Shields wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:23 pm then we won't discuss the 40# of black powder... :D
Yea, that too :?