MEG Wendy suspension

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

ChipsAhoy

MEG Wendy suspension

Post by ChipsAhoy »

A question for any of those who have worked on the Wendy suspension, or any of the Hackworth Gear types I guess.
The plans call for .250 x 2" neoprene everywhere neporene is indicated.
Any neoprene I can find is very very soft. So, I found hockey pucks to cut up. Is that too stiff? Considering the sensitivity of the valve gear, is it possible to be too stiff?
.250 x 2"..... looking at the drawing, it appears that different dimensions are needed. Are you laminating the rubber? If so, what adhesive? What are you using as adhesive to bond the rubber to the metal?
What are you using as the final thickness (height) on top of, and beneath the journal boxes?
Is it even necessary to have any beneath the journal boxes?
What thickness between the front axle suspension beams?
(BTW..Wendy gots a new pair of shoes.)
Thanks in advance,
Scotty

PS. Is anyone going to have their Wendy derivatives out this weekend where I might inspect and photograph? I'm at Maricopa Live Steamers in Phoenix so I can drive my camper to perhaps SoCal. Thx again.
Benjamin Maggi

Re: MEG Wendy suspension

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

This thread may prove useful, as it discusses the merits of putting blocking up the rear axle box on the MEG Wendy.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=103986&p=359544#p359544
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
ChipsAhoy

Post by ChipsAhoy »

It does help to understand the potential problems and reasonable ways to approach changes. I am going to use 3-point with some springing on the front, but the rubber is giving me concerns on the rear. They don't quite get there on that thread.
Thanks Ben.... been watching your thread... ready to build a fire in her this fall?
Scotty
darjeeling

Post by darjeeling »

I have used both Marshall and Hackworth valve gears on my engines with sprung suspension on the rear. Providing the movement of the axle is not much more than 2 to 3mm very little difference seems to appear on the valve timing, providing its set right in the first instance, and ensures a smoother ride. On most tracks this spring movement is sufficient to give a smoother ride.

Safe steaming, John Heald , New Zealand