Whistle advice?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

LVRR2095

Re: Whistle advice?

Post by LVRR2095 »

10KPete wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:34 pm With steam whistles, longer makes a lower note, bigger diameter makes more volume.

Pete
While you are right that a longer chamber makes for a lower note. Increasing the diameter changes the timbre not the volume. It won’t be any louder as that is a function of the pressure.....but larger diameter gives fuller sound.
Steam whistles are basically really high pressure organ pipes and the same rules apply to them as they do to organ pipes.

Keith. (There is a Wurlitzer theater pipe organ living here at our home)
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it is tough to get a 3/4" or 1" loco to sound like much more than an oversized tea kettle without something really out of scale 'hanging around'.

Once upon a time I saw a 1" steamer with the whistle under the TENDER which allowed for a bit more room.

It sounded a little 'wet' until the hose from the boiler warmed up but beggers cannot be choosers....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

little engines has great sounding whistles from Rizzoli locomotive Works. they are the best money can buy if you want that real full size throaty locomotive tone to make your engine sound like the real thing.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Dan's father has the best whistle I ever heard...I lust for it;)

My 1" Atlantic has a little peewhistle on it, it looks great scale wise, but it has no sound. I was going to try making Nelson's whistle, but that would have to get on the end of a very long project que, and I have no musical knowledge so I don't even understand the lingo. All that being said, I'm going to try to find a hiding place for the Mintz whistle, or not. If I can't disguise it, I'll give it a coat of flat black and let it all hang out.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice. John
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

All this advice and discussion is wonderful. I'm certain we are touching a number of steamer needs and questions.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Steam Engine Dan

jscarmozza wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:53 pm Dan's father has the best whistle I ever heard...I lust for it;)

My 1" Atlantic has a little peewhistle on it, it looks great scale wise, but it has no sound. I was going to try making Nelson's whistle, but that would have to get on the end of a very long project que, and I have no musical knowledge so I don't even understand the lingo. All that being said, I'm going to try to find a hiding place for the Mintz whistle, or not. If I can't disguise it, I'll give it a coat of flat black and let it all hang out.

Thanks to all for the tips and advice. John
:D thanks john. yea my CB&Q 5 chime really sounds good doesn't it? :D
Last edited by Steam Engine Dan on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

for 1" scale, this is not a bad size..and doesn't sound like a dog whistle or bosun's pipe

http://www.ajreeves.com/6612.html

It can be disguised under a running board or actually stuck INSIDE a cab.

the picture is not the best, but if you look inside the cab, standing vertically, right in front of the water glass, there is this whistle (or something close enough to the size to give you an idea of what you can do on a small-ish 1" 2-4-0 loco.

It sounds very interesting with the cab roof ON - the whistle is mounted with the inlet at the bottom.
Attachments
cab and whistle.jpg
cab and whistle.jpg (32.75 KiB) Viewed 5615 times
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Hi Bill, there are some really great accessories across the pond, but I never tried to make an international purchase...the older I get the more hassle adverse I become. I'm going to try the Mintz first and take it from there. Or maybe I'll bring a wrench to the club and steal Dan's :)
John
Steam Engine Dan

jscarmozza wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:30 am Hi Bill, there are some really great accessories across the pond, but I never tried to make an international purchase...the older I get the more hassle adverse I become. I'm going to try the Mintz first and take it from there. Or maybe I'll bring a wrench to the club and steal Dan's :)
John
I heard that
23894_10151167575933317_1269742675_n.jpg
Steam Engine Dan

:D hahahahaha
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I get a lot of stuff from Reeves. they take credit cards, put things in the mail and they arrive at my address....really no hassle at all...they do a LOT of to the USA shipping and have it down to a science.

The last time I was actually in their shop, they were boxing up a complete set of castings for a loco and shipping it Stateside. When then told me where it was going, it was a name that I recognized from here...and yes I am pretty sure I remember him acknowledging receipt of the bits and pieces.

5" or above copper pipe is readily available from them and believe it or not -> air shipping is actually not all that bad (after you consider the $$$ of the pipe).
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I work exclusively in 1" scale. England has much to offer in this scale. Equivalent castings from England, even after adding postage, are cheaper than castings from here in the U.S. Reeves, Blackgates and Kennions, they all take credit cards and have amazing catalogs. I recommend them all as they have much to offer. There is also much to be had for 1.5" scale builders also.

David