How do you guys feel about the "Just get it done" attitude?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

How do you guys feel about the "Just get it done" attitude?

Post by shild »

Just wondering how you guys feel about it when for example you drill out a bearing a little bigger than you should have and it has a sloppy fit, or do anything where you took off a little more meat than you should have. Do you just live with the sloppy piece and continue working on the next parts just to get the project done? Then plan to maybe remake the part down the road if you really don't like it? Or do you fix it right away?
gwrdriver

Re: How do you guys feel about the "Just get it done" attitude?

Post by gwrdriver »

I think all of us do things in the way that suits our own objectives. My practice is to stop and remake a ruined part right then and there. It wasn't always so, and it showed in my work.
That's the philosophical side, but the practical side is, when do you know better how to correct or avoid a mistake than right after you've done it . . . while it's fresh on your mind? That being said I am a firm believer in taking a step back for a while, and come back to make a fresh start on the problem.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

for me, it all depends on the part and if the part is mine or someone else. most of the time if the dims are not critical and its mine, i will just live with. if someone is paying me for the pay, it will be right.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I come from an operation and maintenance background. Running a steam tourist railroad is a constant challenge.
When you walk in the door at 8 AM, and the first train is at 11 AM, you don't have time to make things pretty.
"Now is better than perfect'.
Repeat after me - 'It'll make a trip!'
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

shild wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:38 pm Just wondering how you guys feel about it when for example you drill out a bearing a little bigger than you should have and it has a sloppy fit, or do anything where you took off a little more meat than you should have. Do you just live with the sloppy piece and continue working on the next parts just to get the project done? Then plan to maybe remake the part down the road if you really don't like it? Or do you fix it right away?
Well, I can't just shrug and move on: it won't work. I rethink the design from an engineering point of view. Maybe I use adhesives, maybe I enlarge the pocket and press in a sleeve, maybe I re-specify the bearing. If it's a "gotta be done by Friday" job (I try to avoid those) maybe I install a bronze bushing instead of a ball-bearing and plan on replacing it.

Of course if it was outside work I'd have no option but to scrap the part, but I don't do outside work.
jcbrock

Post by jcbrock »

Marty makes a good point, but it's really up to you. Are you one of those people that stays awake at night thinking about it? Where are you in the spectrum of having something to run vs having a project to keep you busy in the shop? Personally I am one of those people that stays awake at night and I have run plenty, so I usually make the part over. But I need to get over that if I am ever going to finish a locomotive.
John Brock
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

It depends on what it is... If I think it will affect the performance and/or reliability of the locomotive, it gets made over. If it is something that maybe is a blemish that can be painted over, covered up, worked around, or which may not make too much difference, then I will probably let it go. I've had to make several parts over before, but it was always something that I felt like I would end up having to re-visit at a later date if I didn't do it over right then. I guess it's like my grandfather used to say... there's never time to do it right, but there's always time to do it over. I hate doing things over.
Fender

Post by Fender »

I interpret the “get it done” statement differently. Sometimes the most efficient way to get something done is with a file or a grinder than with a milling machine. It depends on the accuracy required. I’ve “turned” decorative parts in a cordless drill against a sanding belt! Who can tell?
Another expdient is to forge a part on a anvil or silver solder an assembly rather than machining from solid or making a casting. Many ways to skin a cat.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

I was muttering about this subject just a few hours ago. Trying to measure twice and cut once doesn't always work -- I've got to think further ahead! I could have redone several steps to give just a bit more clearance for access to a check valve. I ended up saying it wasn't a big deal. Someday it might be but for now I've got work-arounds. Just please let it work!
Attachments
Climax #38: Injector &amp; Hand Pump Check Valves<br />(Original &amp; Modification)
Climax #38: Injector & Hand Pump Check Valves
(Original & Modification)
New Hand Pump Check Valve Installation
New Hand Pump Check Valve Installation
New Locomotive Profile
New Locomotive Profile
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Remember that there are times to build a watch and times to build a locomotive and get it out on the track.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

This is why we have tolerances. Or more accurately, a range of tolerances. If it fits within the allowable tolerance, I will usually go with it. If it materially affects the working of the machine, I will try to remake a better part, or fix it some way, for example, put a sleeve in an oversized bore. If it doesn’t matter, a bolt hole slightly out of alignment maybe. No big deal. Move on to the next thing to do. Seems like all the hand made manufactured stuff I’ve ever used or worked on, are all slightly different from the next. Just the nature of making repetitive parts by hand I guess.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks for the replies everyone! Nice line Bill about building a locomotive and not a watch. I see your problem Paralleler, a very real world problem and right fix!