A big hurdle came to my machine shop, need advice on what to do now.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

A big hurdle came to my machine shop, need advice on what to do now.

Post by shild »

Wanted to give you guys an update on my machine shop. A couple months back I showed you guys pics of my machine shop and asked how I can make parts faster. Most of you guys said my biggest problem is not having machines heavy duty enough. Since that time a big hurdle came. The landlord told me I can't have that stuff in his basement anymore. So I took the bandsaw, benchtop grinder, sheet metal brake and scrap parts to my parents house. I felt I could realistically only keep 2 machines in one of the apartment bedrooms so I took the mill/drill with it's desk and the lathe with it's rolling table. Being I typically visit my parents once a week did I make the right choice? I guess my workflow will have to be to first cut the bar stock while visiting my parents and do the milling and lathe work at the apartment. Oh yeah, I lost my mills head counterweight too because I'm not allowed to put hooks in the apartments ceiling for counterweight pulleys:( But I can mount pulleys to top of column. Trying to be very clean about this, but am now having problems with shavings bouncing off the table and onto a carpet instead of just a concrete floor. Maybe I should make a cardboard wall to keep shavings from falling off the table? Here are the old basement pics of where I can't keep it anymore. I'm trying the mill on the left of the table currently.
Attachments
machine shop02.jpg
machine shop01.jpg
NP317

Re: A big hurdle came to my machine shop, need advice on what to do now.

Post by NP317 »

Think:
"Kozo Hiraoka"

~RN
Glenn Brooks

Re: A big hurdle came to my machine shop, need advice on what to do now.

Post by Glenn Brooks »

I’d be looking for another place to rent. With a garage😀
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....