Copper boiler water treatment

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

GORAN ROSEN

Re: Copper boiler water treatment

Post by GORAN ROSEN »

May bee John Heald, New Zealand, could clarify this for me, as he mentioned this in his answer in the second letter of this thread.
Some info on the welding Technics used as well as info of the thickness of the Duplex 2205 material used.
Sincerely Yours
Göran Rosén
Sweden
GORAN ROSEN

Post by GORAN ROSEN »

May bee John Heald, New Zealand, could clarify this for me, as he mentioned this in his answer in the second letter of this thread.
Some info on the welding Technics used as well as info of the thickness of the Duplex 2205 material used.
Sincerely Yours
Göran Rosén
Sweden
McNown

Post by McNown »

I'm not sure the original question was answered. Does anyone use or should use ISB8000 in a copper boiler like a 7.5 gauge Mogul.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

GORAN ROSEN wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:07 am May bee John Heald, New Zealand, could clarify this for me, as he mentioned this in his answer in the second letter of this thread.
Sincerely Yours
Göran Rosén
Sweden
Here is an updated version of our article on Duplex boilers: http://mikemassee.com/duplex.pdf

There have been a number of positive developments since then, and a larger number of duplex boilers built in AU. For complete information you'll want to order the AMBSC Part 4 codes at http://www.smex.net.au/Store/Store_AALS-Codes.php

Regarding PolyFloc, I have seen this agent used myself as John indicated, and while other people had quite a bit of buildup from the local water at Nelson, John's use of PolyFloc with the combination of a duplex steel boiler kept it looking brand new inside per usual. Some general information on PolyFloc here: https://www.suezwatertechnologies.com/k ... ral_EN.pdf

It comes in different variants and I will need to find out from John which he uses. From there we can look for a local source.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
darjeeling

Post by darjeeling »

The polyfloc used is a liquid form named Crystalsperse A135, marketed by Ixom here in New Zealand. I am sure there will be other variants available world wide. Dosage is about 20ml per each steam up boiler fill. I usually blow down fully after each run even though its a Duplex boiler. On the last boiler inspection in July the boiler internals were like new after nearly 80 steam ups from cold to hot and 258 hours running. 1050 Kms in distance.

Safe steaming , john heald