Simple lubrication question...

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Ray Cadd

Simple lubrication question...

Post by Ray Cadd »

Q- does the pump ram on my Crab axle pump need lubrication of any sort? Would doing so be 'cheap insurance'? It's a simple one-ram pump with a neoprene ring on the stainless pump ram.. I have the pump out right now, so now's the time to do it..
Ray Cadd

2.5" scale Allen Chloe saddle tank
2.5" scale RMI switcher
2.5" scale LE "Crab"
4.75" ga. O.S. "Koppel"
3.5" ga. "Fanny"
asst. ga1...
Bill Shields

Re: Simple lubrication question...

Post by Bill Shields »

As long as there is water in the pump, the answer is not to worry.

If there is no water there...then you have more problems than that because...well it should be obvious....

You have to be careful about oil on the pump that will eventually get INSIDE the boiler.

are you SURE it is neoprene?

Many folks prefer graphite packing that is self lubricating, but requires periodic attention instead of O-rings -> the concept being that when an o-ring fails it fails...packing can always be tightened and continue to work for the remainder of the day / week / year.

I have used both over the decades and don't really worry about it...just keep the pump wet.

THEN there are folks that say 'do not use pumps', but that is another story for another time.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

As long as the pump bore is super smooth, an O-ring should last a long time.

BEWARE of oil on the ram. Even though it seems like a good idea to lubricate the ram, lubrication can easily make it past the O-ring and become part of the boiler feedwater. Here is where it gets real ugly. I saw a guy who was almost OCD in regards to lubrication of all moving parts on his steamer including the axle pump ram. More was always better. Soon the boiler began to foam as soon as the throttle was opened. The water glass was instantly filled with bublbes like it was a bubble factory in fast forward. Only cure was to wash the boiler with TSP.

Guy still did not get it and lubed up the ram, not realizing that the oil was the ultimate problem for the foaming condition. Sure enough, the foaming condition continued to plague him once enough of the oil got past the O-ring. More TSP cleaning was done and the next time, he used restraint when oiling up the locomotive. Only then did the foaming problem go away.

Once you see a foaming boiler, you will never forget it. In full size, foaming was a recipe for boiler failure as the bubbles will not keep the crown sheet from overheating and then the big KaBoom.
Ray Cadd

Post by Ray Cadd »

Hey guys- thanks for the info! I had a hunch that was the answer. Bill- yes, is neoprene, at least said that on the package...;)
Ray Cadd

2.5" scale Allen Chloe saddle tank
2.5" scale RMI switcher
2.5" scale LE "Crab"
4.75" ga. O.S. "Koppel"
3.5" ga. "Fanny"
asst. ga1...