Are 7/8" R8 collets worth having?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

Are 7/8" R8 collets worth having?

Post by shild »

I've found that hogging with cutters that fit my 3/4" collet seems to work best. Could I do better if I got a 7/8" collet and cutters that fit? Or maybe the walls of such a collet are too thin?
Harold_V

Re: Are 7/8" R8 collets worth having?

Post by Harold_V »

As you suggested, the walls are quite thin. I use mine only rarely, but it has served well when called upon.

I purchased mine because I had a few 7/8" shank end mills that I could put to use if I could hold them. It has not been used under extreme conditions, so I'll reserve judgment in that regard, but I don't know that I'd recommend one so you could take heavier cuts.

Might be nice to hear from you if you go that direction.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
theg8nw

Post by theg8nw »

From my experience I had a contract for drilling and reaming a 3 1/2 deep hole. Drill was 63/64 taper shank drill cut and turned to 7/8" Reamer was 1" carbide tipped with a 7/8" shank. The hole was welded solid with Esab ER70s wire. I would average 125 holes drilled and reamed before I broke a collet. These were done on a manual Bridgeport. I ran over 700 of these parts. I guess I had pretty good luck with a 7/8 collet, But this was just drilling an E/M may put more stress on it.
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

You can get end mills with a reduced shank for 3/4 collet the 7/8 is limited to what end mill you can use. not much depth in the collet.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

If the alternative to a 7/8" collet is to put a 3/4" shank 7/8" end mill holder in, then you probably would be better off with the collet, as the overhang will be far less.

Steve
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

I guess I don't what I am talking about.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks for the replies everyone!
theg8nw wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:49 am From my experience I had a contract for drilling and reaming a 3 1/2 deep hole. Drill was 63/64 taper shank drill cut and turned to 7/8" Reamer was 1" carbide tipped with a 7/8" shank. The hole was welded solid with Esab ER70s wire. I would average 125 holes drilled and reamed before I broke a collet. These were done on a manual Bridgeport. I ran over 700 of these parts. I guess I had pretty good luck with a 7/8 collet, But this was just drilling an E/M may put more stress on it.
So 125 holes drilled and reamed before it broke huh? Maybe it was tightening the drawbar and loosening all those times that fatigued the thin walls? Guess a 3/4" collet with 3/4 shank would have been better?