Un Lucky 7 Stack

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

elm53

Un Lucky 7 Stack

Post by elm53 »

Stack for Lucky 7 3 1/2" gauge. One peice 12L14 steel ,one peice,...no cnc work ,by...Steaming Don,aka DMS.
Attachments
20180803_130643.jpg
20180803_130818.jpg
20180803_130757.jpg
20180803_130750.jpg
Andrew Pugh

Re: Un Lucky 7 Stack

Post by Andrew Pugh »

Beautiful work!

Did you start with solid bar? Cored bar? What's the ID/OD?

Thanks!
AP
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Oh my. Too nice to run. Put it on the mantle.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

This is not a knock on elm53, but are we now to the point where we assume that such a challenging and well-done piece must have been (or was probably) done CNC, and a disclaimer added to the description, rather than to assume first that someone using the skills and experience they've acquired has done a fine job? I would hope not.

What I'd enjoy reading is an account of how the machining challenge was met, the basic setups, jigs, or outright dodges used to make the piece. I look at it and see how I would probably do it, but it would be interesting to hear how it was done, and what machines were involved. Then maybe some folks would begin to think "Hey, I could do that" rather than assume it must have been CNC'd.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Fender

Post by Fender »

Elm53 said there was no CNC work. My guess is that a taper attachment was used, as well as a steady rest for the bore (?)
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
elm53

Post by elm53 »

First, Don Ritchie made the stack. I posted the pics for him. The stack was made from solid,witout a taper attachment.Don used the compound. And as I stated ..he used no ..no cnc machinery to make the stack. Feel free to chime in here Don.
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

The pile of chips must have been gigantic.

JB
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Hear ye, hear ye. All rise and remain standing in the presence of a master.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

WOW! now that stirred the pot. The stack was turned and bored on a 1958 Clausing/Colchester 13" x 36" no taper attachment as I don`t have one on this machine. I used the compound to turn and bore the taper, I.D. is 1.250 and O.D is 1.500 1/2 degree taper inside and out. The stack is 6.062 in length. I used a three jaw chuck and some 40 plus years of machine shop experience to complete this project. I made a form tool for the ferrule @ the top of the stack. This piece was drawn to be a three piece construction out of a rolled piece SWG 14 gauge. I don`t have a slip roll small enough to roll these diameters, that is why I decide to machine it out of one piece. I am quite happy with the result. A casting for this detail would have been nice, but alas, there were none made for the lucky "7". Just thought people would like to see what can be done on conventional/ manual machines. Jack Bodenmann dose it all the time. I hope to have more on my progress of this project, when the photographer is available. This took me 6hrs. to finish. :D :shock:
steamer
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Well done!
~RN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

steamingdon wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:51 pm ...This took me 6hrs. to finish. :D :shock:
Are you kiddin' me? That would have taken me six weeks!
Greg Lewis, Prop.
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

steamingdon wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:51 pmJust thought people would like to see what can be done on conventional/manual machines. Jack Bodenmann does it all the time.
I like to. Well done Don.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN