Running a live steamer "1930s style"

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Builder01

Re: Running a live steamer "1930s style"

Post by Builder01 »

Just put a couple of pillows at the end of the track! (wink)

David
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Benjamin Maggi wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 2:54 pm I suppose with a 100' run that brakes are a must? Or do you just lift the engine up off the track if it starts to get too fast? :D
No brakes on the equipment that has run there so far, although my riding car does have brakes. Going one way, which is a downgrade, we just put it in reverse as you approach the end, and that slows it right down. Open the throttle a bit and it stops just shy of the end of the track.

Going up the grade (backward), just shut the throttle a little before the end of the run and it stops just shy of the end, on its own.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

elm53 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:24 pm Shut yhe throttle, reverse and crack the throttle, or get off and grab the riding car.
Yup.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Group,

We're running at my track this weekend and also November 10th, and that will be "it" for this season. If interested in stopping by on either date, email me please at NELS@friendsmodels.com.

Thank you,
-John K.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

It sounds like fun. Perhaps next year I will stop by!
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Ah yes. Just as in Britain we had gentleman loco drivers. Cary
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

We just finished up our meet. We were delighted that a member of chaski drove nearly 2 hours just to meet us and to see the track, and, that it was his opportunity to run a "live steamer" for the first time. He appears to have the "bug" and be "hooked". I'll let him comment on his own here, if he chooses to.

We meet again November 10th, and that's "it" for this year.

Anyone seriously interested in "old school, highline live steaming" is invited to attend, as is anyone who's building (or seriously contemplating building) a small scale live steamer. Of course, anyone who has operable 3/4" scale steam is of course welcome to come meet us, and to try out the track.

We provide fuel and water, oil, etc. for your loco, as well as coffee and muffins, etc. in the morning. Chowder, chili, or bean soup, etc. are served up for lunch.

Inquiries to NELS@friendsmodels.com please. Always let us know you plan to attend, so we know to expect you.

October NELS 7.jpg
"End of the day". Frodo's fire has been dropped and the loco's blowdown valve is open.

-John
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Once again I really wish I could have attended. John your track looks really great and I'll bet all had a great time. Big engines are no more fun than tiny ones, and to be truthful I find the tiny ones way more fascinating. Hitting that little fire door with a shovel of coal when on the run....too much fun! Also, the size of a railway has nothing to do with how cool it is. So my hat's off to John, good job.
Jack, working away on my highline so we can run a live steamer here "1930's style"
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Thank you, Jack.

We had an amazing amount of fun today on just 95' of track.

Below is a very handsome train at the end of the day:

October NELS 6.jpg

Below is the locos' source of water when here. It's a regular garden hose with one of the spray trigger things. But note please that it's held in the handle of a pitchfork that's stabbed into the ground. This is tradition from one of the live steam tracks I attended as a teen and a young man. The host kept a wooden crate of coal trackside, and, the "pitchfork water tower" right next to it. We do the same here.

October NELS 17.jpg
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Here is the coal pile. It's a little more than half a ton. Coal is taken from here, sifted, and the pieces that don't fall through the screen are placed in the "coal box" at trackside for easy access by passing locos. In the foreground is a siding that's under construction.

October NELS 14.jpg

The "pile" was inspired by just such a pile at one of the live steam tracks I used to attend as a teen and a young man. It helps make a small yard with a short highline track actually "feel" a little more like a working railroad than it otherwise might. It's also a great reminder of the coal pile we had in our yard when I was small (we heated with coal), and, that at the Mt. Washington Cog Railway.
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

JohnK wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:00 pm We just finished up our meet. We were delighted that a member of chaski drove nearly 2 hours just to meet us and to see the track, and, that it was his opportunity to run a "live steamer" for the first time. He appears to have the "bug" and be "hooked". I'll let him comment on his own here, if he chooses to.
Hi John, thanks again for the hospitality yesterday! I am very glad that I took the drive out to check out your old-school back and forth style track, I could have hung out all day and talked shop if it weren't for my family commitment in NY! I spent about around 7 to 8 hours behind the wheel yesterday and put on around 425 miles! :shock: Certainly not my average Saturday!

I am planning on attending on November 10th as well and in the meantime I will be working on "Winterizing" my garage shop (insulation and installing a pellet stove) so I can hopefully start my own engine build this winter!
-Frank K.
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

Frank K., you are welcome. Thanks for coming.

Group, we're all set for the meet tomorrow (last meet of the season). Will post photos here, after the meet.