Choice of prototype

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

EVGEN

Re: Choice of prototype

Post by EVGEN »

Evgen is it your first try to build a locomotive?
Yes. We need to start, and then time goes by, and I choose the prototype.
Your shop must be very big and your machines also, how could you handle the sice of the parts?
There is access to a number of machine tools. The equipment is old, but still able to serve as faith and truth. There is a modern CNC, it's enough to create a molded form.

There is access to a number of machine tools. The equipment is old, but still able to serve as faith and truth. In stock a modern CNC, the capacity of which is sufficient for making tooling for casting.

I plan to organize the production of the most critical parts on the side.

I'm going to do the foundry work myself.
super7b

Post by super7b »

The OP asked for help in deciding on a prototype to build and most of the replies have been tending towards warning him against building on the grounds of cost/size/complexity/timescale. The OP appears to have the necessary kit and knowledge to do the job, after all it is only engineering, there are enough New Build full size locos built in the 21st century (Tornado for one) or being built to prove that nothing is impossible. So I would say to the OP, make a decision and get on with it, if you hit a problem, throw time/money/experience at it and move on to the next bit.

Anything is possible, man on the moon etc.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

In my opinion you have made your choices as to gage and prototype. Perhaps the discussion got off the track a little but the advice was OK. As there are other 10 1/4" gage railroads already in operation your choice is probably a good one. Track gages are a mess. For example here in Los Angeles is a very large park, some 4500 acres, with a public hauling RR at each end. They are owned and operated by the same company. However, one is 16" gage and the other is 18" gage. This came about when the first, the east one was purchased as 18" gage and locos and rolling stock were built to this gage. Later the second RR was developed in Travel Town, a outdoor RR museum, with a loco and train that had belonged to Gene Autry the cowboy actor and businessman. That 4-6-2 and its passenger cars were 16" gage and that is the way they are now after several decades of operation. The loco is now gone but the passenger cars remain. That said I wish you the very best of success in your project. Let us know of your progress. I am old so may not be around to see your finished project but that's OK.
Cary
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

Thanks to all!

To be honest, I would choose a scale of 1: 5. That corresponds to 287 mm. Unfortunately, I can not dictate my standards, so it's worth choosing from the standard ones. 10 1/4 in is a good choice. The model will have a scale of 7 1/4 inch narrow gauge locomotive.

As a prototype, having consulted with senior comrades from the NWHS, I decided to choose a late locomotive of the class Y-3a.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Here's the perfect locomotive for you and you could make this narrow gauge too....no sweat! It's a 2-4-6-8-10-12-0
Attachments
Virginian PhotoShop.jpg
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

BClemens,

so funny .... :D 8)

thx for sharing

Regards
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

BClemens wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:34 am Here's the perfect locomotive for you and you could make this narrow gauge too....no sweat! It's a 2-4-6-8-10-12-0
Another "masterpiece" of engineering thought :mrgreen:
NP317

Post by NP317 »

And here's another.
~RN
bigbigboy.jpg
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

NP317,
like those (mad) prototypes :lol:
Asteamhead
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Hi Guys,

or this famous German "Pacific" :D
ECF0D3C-16071620151146.jpg
so many good prototyps !

All the best
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !
NP317

Post by NP317 »

It needs some blind drivers...
~RN
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Somebody has way too much time to spend with photoshop!! Get back into the work shop and make a few parts!

David