Choice of prototype

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Carrdo

Re: Choice of prototype

Post by Carrdo »

Another aspect to consider. For a locomotive of this size, do any castings/patterns exist? One can make them also but this is about as much work again as building such a locomotive.

As an alternative, one can always make a "one off" from solid bar stock - I have done this but again it is 2-3 times additional work than to have a casting available.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

EVGEN wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 pm
At any price, I would not spend my valuable time building a loco for someone else. Life is short. Unless, all you want to do is build locomotives and are not interested in actually operating them.
If this will speed up the construction of your locomotive, then why not;)
Making more parts will never speed up construction. It will only assure it will take more time.
David
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

You say that the locomotive(s) will be built by your family and friends. If so, two very important considerations are what equipment do you have available to use and what hands on practical machining experience do each of you have? To a great degree, this will determine what is possible in your situation. For things like side rods etc. some kind of CNC equipment (possibly even homebuilt) would be advantageous. Also, digital readouts will be a necessity, not an option.
The project is serious, it will not be possible to build on a knee. Elements of construction that require special precision will be manufactured in the factory. I plan to do metal casting on my own, especially since I have a CNC machine with a large field.
In addition, if you are planning on financing this project by selling one locomotive, you need to find out what the potential market is, who your prospective customers are and if they have the money. You just might be building something that nobody in your area wants or can afford.
No. I plan to do one locomotive. I suggested that if there was an opportunity to make another locomotive together with mine, this would significantly speed up the project.
For most of us, we do this for the love of it, not for any financial rewards that may come our way. Its like the couplers I worked on.
Similarly.
For a large locomotive in 10 1/4" gauge, If you make a mistake in either design or operation, someone can easily get badly hurt or even killed, so think and act accordingly.
Observance of safety precautions is above all.
Making more parts will never speed up construction. It will only assure it will take more time.
If all the elements are made independently - yes. If some number of elements of the construction will be made on the appropriate equipment - no. I think that this way it is possible to construct a locomotive fairly quickly, and, most importantly, to build a locomotive qualitatively;)
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

As you can see, this is not an easy thing to decide; there are many aspects that have to be considered. I wish you all the luck there is, but please look at all sides of the elephant before you start.
Any locomotive, even a simple one, will require a lot of time, energy and money. Why waste time on trifles? If you build, then let it be something monumental.
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

I am sure you will find something that intrigues you.
I do pretty well building, but if I had the talent some of my friends do, building a monumental beast, for me, would be a 2-6-6-6 Allegheny.

Looking forward to watching you build,
Paul
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

I second what Paul has just said whatever you finally choose.

Just take lots of pictures along the way and post them here to document the build.
Carrdo

Post by Carrdo »

It can be done if you have the skill, the determination and the patience.

See on facebook "Pavel Malanik - Historic vehicles". It is not live steam but the entire reproduction came from a single poor manufacturer's illustration.
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

Ironflyer wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:20 pm I do pretty well building, but if I had the talent some of my friends do, building a monumental beast, for me, would be a 2-6-6-6 Allegheny.
This is a very good locomotive. One of my favorite. Wheel formula with "number of the beast". It is a pity that it was built with a cast frame, otherwise it would be an unconditional favorite.

I think that it is worth to choose the Y class. True, which locomotive from this series to choose as a prototype? Initially, I was thinking of choosing Ya-3 2050, as this locomotive has survived to the present day. However, Y-5 is a more perfect machine, a transitional type (from locomotive with a bar frame to fully cast beds).

How do you think on which prototype to stop your choice?
Ironflyer

Post by Ironflyer »

Evgen, I think by knowing which loco is your favorite to see, and see built and running. I know someone building a NYC Hudson that hogged the tender bed casting from one piece, he is certainly happy with building it for it to see him through that. For me it's an ugly duckling K-28.
Making first parts and starting to assemble the engine you want will drive you..
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

Hello EVGEN,
What about building this monumental giant of the former Soviet Union? Found these rare informations in a German magazine just recently.
May be a thrill for you to construct and build this engine and make it run successfully as a model - other than the prototype, which failed?
Seven(!) pairs of drivers - more than any other engine with rigid frame.
Big chance, isn't it?
Sorry for it's not in English.
And sorry, too for I didn't manage to turn the second photo to the right direction!

Asteamhead
Attachments
Photo of the giant AA20-1
Photo of the giant AA20-1
Drawing and data sheet of the AA20-1
Drawing and data sheet of the AA20-1
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

This is a misunderstanding, not a locomotive. To build such a "miracle" of machine building is a waste of time and energy. But if someone has a desire to build this miracle, I can help get the blueprints for this locomotive.

Enjoying the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l68GhXchZw

What really once caused me interest is the steam locomotive 2-8-8-4 P38. However, this is another unsuccessful attempt to copy the American machine.

http://pro-parovoz.ru/images/phocagalle ... _00001.png
Steamchris

Post by Steamchris »

Bill Shields wrote:
Other people have different ideas and want to build something that is a large, very detailed model.

I am always amazed at the work that I see from these builders -> but it is not me and what I would suggest should not be any influence on your decision. Have you seen what ASTEAMHEAD (Germany) is doing with a "Y"???? ABSOLUTELY
Hey Bill and Evgen,

Bill,Asteamhead is building N&W class A #1239, the Y6 is out of our shop :)

Evgen, such big Locomotives are so so much work.
My Dad needed about 11 Years to finish the Y6b.

If you want take a look at the Build Log and watch Asteamheads work of the A , we're building the J 611 also a thread on Build Log , you see the work of the last 5 years of 2 builders.

Regards
Chris
The light at the end of the tunnel could be a train ;)

Health and Safety Notice

due to the current economic circumstances , the light at the end of the tunnel
has been switched off !