VB # 17 Pat can you get it run again

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pat Fahey

VB # 17 Pat can you get it run again

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi All
This will be just a little article on getting a locomotive, that has not run under Steam in maybe 6 to 7 years. The locomotive was built by Master Builder Bill Van Brocklin, as his number 17. The locomotive is a 4-6-0, started in 1976 and finished in 1977, by Bill Van Brocklin.the locomotive is coming up for sale, in August 2018 at the WLS annual meet.
The locomotive will be sold AS-IS by Elaine Young
The locomotive has not steamed in years, whoever buys it will be the locomotive fifth owner. So I volunteered to get her running again, and the problems that come with it. Once I got permission via our club President and via the owner's wife, I started on my mission.
I pulled the engine out of the clubs engine house, and it was a mess, I didn't know if the injector or Steampump, would run, must less the axle pump.
One of the first things I did, was to give the engine and tender a kerosene bath, it was a mess. Once I got the tender disconnected, that got a good flushing out, I had to find out if the valves still worked, to shut off water from the tender.
The next thing was the grates still in the firebox, I lucked out, plus shovel and porker. The next bit was the stainless steel balls in the boiler checks, I had to get them loose.
Also, all the valves on the manifold were loose and easy to open, the throttle still moved, back an forth.
The following day, would the boiler hold water or leak, the rumor was the engine has a leaking boiler since I forgot my hydro pump, I put a fire in her anyway, but I didn't get too far, the injector boiler check, was sending steam back to the tender and the steam pump would not pump, OK now whats wrong.
I pulled the boiler check to the injector off, along with the injector, could not see any light looking through injector cones.OK brought home for cleaning, the injector was plugged with some kind of oil, it looked almost like wet valve oil, the boiler check ball was the same way.
Finally, after changing the white vinegar twice, on both, and flushing everything well with water, I could see the light, though the cones of the injector, the ball in the boiler check ball were loose again, I am gaining ground.
So once again the following day back to the track, I put the parts I took off back on, the injector and boiler check, lit the fire again, pressure coming up, but nothing showing in the steam gauge, the needle was stuck, a few taps of the poker, and that started working again. I took the boiler pressure up to 90 psi, turned the valve on the injector, and we are pumping water, the injector is a lifting injector, it would pick up anywhere from 60 to 90 psi, the injector was one of Bill's own design.
Once I knew I had at least one way to fill the boiler, I could take my time, also I was only firing the engine on Charcoal, in case I had to pull the fire.
Now the next set of problems, boiler safety valves would not lift unless I pulled the stem up, I still had problems with the steam pump, the pump would pump, but it wouldn't pump water. Ok pull the checks to the Steam Pump, and safety valves, its cleaning time again. On the left side of the locomotive is a double check, one side for axle pump the other for the steam pump.
Once I got them home and took them apart, the stainless steel balls in the safety valves were stuck, with that wet valve oil, the boiler checks to the axle pump/steam pump, were plugged with the same wet valve oil. Also, the nipple the screws into the boiler was plugged with the same oil. So again with the cleaning process, now I have them back together, and they should work.
Before I try to steam the boiler again, I gave the boiler, a boiler wash, hopefully, that would remove whatever is in there. I did that today, also I had one more small problem, the connection between the engine and tender drawbar was gone. Billy used a spring-loaded bolt to connect engine and tender, that was gone. and I didn't want to rely on the tender hoses, pulling me uphill. So I made a quick connection with a screw and a nut, so tomorrow is the test.
Ok it is now July 7th Saturday, I reinstalled the double boiler check on the left side, and filled the boiler, about 3/4 's full of water, then I reinstalled the safety valves. I started the fire still on Charcoal, brought the engine up to working pressure, adjusted safety valves to pop at 90 and 95 psi. I tried the Steam pump and still had trouble the O-rings are shot on the water leg of the pump, that will be addressed by the new owner.
I ran the locomotive back and forth under Cornell station, the engine is still in time, and sounded good, burning Charcoal. Also, the boiler is tight, no leaks. I opened the ash pan doors, dry as a bone, and on the smokebox end that was dry also, so the boiler is tight.
Ok, what the engine does need, a new steam gauge, I would not trust the current steam gauge, new O-rings, and gasket for the bottom of the steam pump, on water leg. The engine needs a better drawbar connection between engine and tender, the engine and tender are in need of a paint job. The steam pump needs to be raised up an eighth of an inch, the valve gear hits it in reverse. Also, it wouldn't hurt to put new water hoses, on the tender.
PLEASE NOTE, Elaine Young still has one more locomotive for sale, IT WILL BE ON DISPLAY AND FOR SALE AT OUR ANNUAL AUGUST MEET. THE MEET WILL BE HELD ON AUGUST, 24TH TO 26TH 2018.In Holliston, Mass at the club track.
Since I started this draft back in July the locomotive in the article has been sold, to one of our club members, Elaine Young does have one more 3/4" locomotive for sale, it is a British 0-6-0. If the locomotive does not sell over this weekend of our meet, it will be posted on the Marketplace.
VanBrocklin # 17 photo by Pat Fahey
Rob Gardner

Re: VB # 17 Pat can you get it run again

Post by Rob Gardner »

What is the asking price, Pat?

Rob
John Hasler

Post by John Hasler »

Was that oil put in there to prevent corrosion and deposits while the machine was in storage?
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi John
The boiler on the locomotive is made of copper, with copper tubes, so there is really no need of putting the oil in. Also when I steamed her up for the first time nothing was showing in the water sight glass. Pat
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

Many thanks, Pat, for the description of your work to initiate rehabiltation of Bill's No.17. It's amazing and somewhat depressing how so many fine engines are poorly maintained, or sometimes even brutalized, by owners with no understanding of what maintenance is required and no respect for the integrity for what once was a fine machine.

I wonder if No.17 had the Bill's signature one-spring suspension. One of Bill's standard design features in most of his later tenwheelers had a very simple, effective method for equalizing the drivers: The two rear pair of drivers are connected through a beam resting on the top of their journal boxes with its center pivoted on a bolt to the frame. Front drivers are equalized by a single transverse flat leaf spring across the tops of the journal boxes with its center pressed down by a vertical bolt threaded through a frame cross member. Weight distribution among all six drivers is adjusted by the amount of force the bolt applies to the cross-spring. Bill's "Amabel," for which I believe a drawing set can be obtained from John K, is an example of exactly how it is done, as well as illustrating many other VanBrocklin design features.

Bill was a prolific, clever designer as well as a gentleman who would go out of his way to answer questions, give advice, and even give away one of his valves or other small accessories so you could see exactly how he made them. I always enjoyed receiving his Christmas cars, with which he always included a photo of his latest laoomotive.

B&OBob
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi Rob
I just send you a PM, I did want to post on Main Page, Pat WLS
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

Pat Fahey wrote: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:37 pm Hi John
The boiler on the locomotive is made of copper, with copper tubes, so there is really no need of putting the oil in. Also when I steamed her up for the first time nothing was showing in the water sight glass. Pat
How is it possible to "steam up" with nothing showing in the water sight glass? What do you really mean?

David
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi B&OBob
Yes, you are right on what you said on your post, Yes I knew Billy quite well, and yes he was always a gentleman. Billy builds most of his locomotives with that three-point suspension, he had the same thing on number 18 and 20, because at one time I owned both locomotives. Here a shot of Bill's number 17 when new, also I am glad you enjoyed the article.Pat WLS
VB # 17 when new Photo by Bill Vanbrocklin
VB # 17 when new Photo by Bill Vanbrocklin
VB# 17 at old WLS track at Norfolk St, Photo by Pat Fahey
VB# 17 at old WLS track at Norfolk St, Photo by Pat Fahey
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi David
Let me explain, I could see if there was any oil showing in the water sight glass, because there was something in the boiler, if you read my original post you can see what I am talking about.
Now On doing the first steam up, I could see the water in the sight glass, please read the original post. Pat WLS
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

Pat -- No new PMs have appeared.
Bob