THE LAST TWO DAYS PRODUCTION PART 2

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

THE LAST TWO DAYS PRODUCTION PART 2

Post by Trainman4602 »

I have been making check valve seats for the last two days. These are made from the same casting that I use for the safety valve only they are a bit shorter.

As you can see in the picture the sample in the fore ground has a "O" ring on it . It is a silicone "O" ring. I prefer these over Viton. They can hold up to 450 degrees, and have a lower durometer to compress better in the sealing of the check.

There are 50 seat in the picture. The time taken to machine them is about 8 hours, that is including cleaning the castings.

CNC oh well.
Attachments
20180825_130227.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Jerry_H

Re: THE LAST TWO DAYS PRODUCTION PART 2

Post by Jerry_H »

Beautiful work, Dave. I can't wait to get my two !!

Jerry
www.chaski.com
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Thanks Jerry

I should have some ready in about two weeks I'll send PM's out to all who have ordered them .
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

By The Way I have decided to offer a spare parts kit. "O" rings and extra bolts if you get the flange valve.
reubenT

Post by reubenT »

Good work. I much prefer hands on machine work. But I never had need of mass part duplication either, if I did then the CNC would be the way to go. As it is my machine inventory is ancient, from 1800's likely for the first lathe I got, (picked it up in New Jersey for $400 a few years ago) WWII era or before for one, (it's an 18x48 american lathe all gear driven but still flat belt powered originally, motor was a later add on) 1960's on the newest mill, and it just has power spindle and bed drive. I intend to do full size steam engine builds eventually for vehicles and stationary power, 4-6" cylinder diameters mostly. but right now I'm busy with necessary life duties. Aged parents to care for, house to finish up, water power plant to build, greenhouses to get going, etc. Once those things are done I can focus on foundry and machining of useful steam machines. But since I need special parts for the water power facility I'm going ahead with an induction furnace attempt, although my two cupola furnaces run on charcoal would be enough for iron casting in steam work. The steel pipe fittings I need are terribly expensive, so I should try making them myself from some of the rusty scrap surrounding my shop, and steel is better for many of the auxiliary steam engine parts as well.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

reubenT wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:10 pm I'm going ahead with an induction furnace attempt
I'd be interested in hearing your induction furnace plans if you'd like to share. I'm working towards getting mine operational.
Sorry for walking on your thread, Dave. Maybe reubenT can start another thread, or contact me via PM.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
reubenT

Post by reubenT »

Ok, started a thread on induction heating in the foundry/casting category.