TODAYS PRODUCTION

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

TODAYS PRODUCTION

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi All

I only spent a few hours working today. I managed to get the Check Valves started in the machining process. The first operation is to face off the flange area.

I have 36 castings made and another 40 wax patterns shot and ready to tree up and CAST.

BTW one pet peeve of mine is when someone uses the terminology " getting some parts poured" The proper term for making a casting is " I am getting some CAST in bronze" not POURED in bronze, although you are pouring metal in a mold. I know it is trivial but I like to call it right and use the proper terms.

Remember it is CAST no POURED

So if you have some casting made then why is called a casting. If you use the term "POURED then are they POURINGS ?
Attachments
20180826_104826.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
hoppercar

Re: TODAYS PRODUCTION

Post by hoppercar »

Nice work dave..Wow, you sure are a busy man !!
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Heh! If readers have ever seen small parts centrifugally cast, they'd know they're not "poured". Typical procedure is to melt in the crucible, by torch, or to fill the crucible from a ladle or crucible, then to release the arm. That's when the metal enters the mold, so, yeah, it's not "poured".

Nice work, Dave.. :wink:

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Trainman4602 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:13 pm BTW one pet peeve of mine is when someone uses the terminology " getting some parts poured" The proper term for making a casting is " I am getting some CAST in bronze" not POURED in bronze, although you are pouring metal in a mold. I know it is trivial but I like to call it right and use the proper terms.

Remember it is CAST no POURED

So if you have some casting made then why is called a casting. If you use the term "POURED then are they POURINGS ?
I suppose it depends on how you look at it. I work as an engineer in a foundry, and use the term 'pour'. If we are having samples cast, and need to be on the line, we'll ask them to notify me by saying "When you're ready to pour, let me know" - not "When you're ready to cast, let me know".

It also depends on the process. If you're going centrifugally cast, as Harold said, then that changes things.

YMMV.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

In some ways that is right. But I'm from the east were a lot of old school foundry's are located in Pennsylvania. They all say cast not poured.
Yes they are pouring metal but the term is still casting. I asked them " when will you be casting gray iron 60 again and they tell me . All my foundry's do not use the term poured.

This is what Wikipedia has to say https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casting

So is it Die Casting or Die pouring? Investment casting or Investment pouring? lost-foam casting or lost-foam pouring? Lost-wax casting or lost-wax pouring? and the Big one is it

Sand Casting or Sand pouring?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

In my lexicon from the University foundry, we cast metals.
To do that we poured the molten metal in to the molds.
"Poured" as an active verb.

Same results, though: Metal Castings.
~RN
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

What is the action to get the molten metal from the crucible to the ladle or the molten metal into the sand mold?

BC
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

OK whatever I'm sorry i brought it up I say cast and you say poured lets call the whole thing off
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Trainman4602 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:42 am OK whatever I'm sorry i brought it up I say cast and you say poured lets call the whole thing off
No! PLEASE keep making parts!
:lol:
~RN
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Not to be sorry Dave - it's all in fun. I fully agree with you. Just pulling your choke.
BC
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Yea Bill I know that This forum need some life not that much of interesting topics.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Dave, You're not in New Jersey are you - thought you moved to PA...?

I'll tell you what is an interesting topic...how you do all the stuff you do. Do you stop to eat or sleep? And this production work...whew!

BC