14 ga. Steel Material cutting

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jlakes85

14 ga. Steel Material cutting

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi All,

Need to get some 14 ga steel cut for tender material, though I don't have access to a shear that can handle that thickness of material. Would a jig saw be a decent work around, or should I go the torch route?

Thanks

jlakes85
BClemens

Re: 14 ga. Steel Material cutting

Post by BClemens »

Attachments
metal shear.pdf
(159.62 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
jlakes85

Post by jlakes85 »

Hi Bill,

Excellent suggestion..problem solved. Thanks again.

Regards,

jlakes85
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I used a jig saw with fine metal blades to cut the heavier steel sheet for runnings boards and such.
That process left edges requiring simple clean up on with a vertical belt sander, files, plus deburring.

I would have cut the cab parts that way too, but my son's employer learned to use their new laser cutter by practicing on my cab parts.
Successfully. I'm drilling rivet holes now.
~RN
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

jlakes85,
These shears work pretty well. I tried to resist buying a HF tool but needed a shear in a pinch so bought one. The next better one is a few hundred dollars too... We'll see I guess.... I'm cutting 20Ga 304 SS and figured I would be driving back to HF for a return but so far so good.
But a plasma cutter is the way to go!
BC
shild

Post by shild »

When possible for smaller pieces, I'll run them in my mill/drill with smallest endmill I have. Once I bore a hole through I drop the head low as I can so it wears a part of the endmill that rarely gets used. So more even wear on my endmills.
Fender

Post by Fender »

With practice you can make straight cuts very accurately with a cutting disk in an angle grinder. A trick to use with a bandsaw is to back up the metal with scrap plywood (put the plywood underneath). This help to keep the saw teeth from catching/snagging on the sheet metal.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
DavidF

Post by DavidF »

Im for a cut wheel as well. just clamp a length of angle iron to what your cutting for a guide and let the side of the wheel ever so lightly run on it to keep you straight.. Those electric shears have made me a bit angry at times....
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

The shears also waste a piece (curl) of metal the width of the blade for the entire cut. I didn't measure its width but it seems like about a quarter inch wide. I hate to throw things away much less waste them. The shears are also not easy to run along a guide for a straight cut.

----bad suggestion. Maybe a local sheet metal shop will do your shearing for you - it doesn't take long - Bam!

BC
Fender

Post by Fender »

DavidF wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:20 pm just clamp a length of angle iron to what your cutting for a guide and let the side of the wheel ever so lightly run on it to keep you straight.
Nifty idea!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Ken Schroeder

Post by Ken Schroeder »

If you have a table saw get a metal cutting blade and it will work great. I have cut a lot of steel sheet on my table saw up to 3/16" thick. Just wear some safety goggles, safety shield and a long sleeve shirt. If you are like me with thin skin and thin blood you will look like you were in a war zone if you don't cover up. The nice thing is you can cut a very straight line with the table saw and fence.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

jlakes85 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:56 am or should I go the torch route?
You've received some excellent responses, but one thing has been overlooked. Torch cutting.
A torch is a magical and wondrous tool, but using it on thin material tends to create problems that are difficult to overcome. Thin material doesn't torch cut well unless you have the proper tip, and the resulting warping tends to render the parts cut less than useable. For thin material, I'd avoid torch work unless you had no other options.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.