Last two days R&D

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

Last two days R&D

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Hi everyone,

I hesitate to post this so early on, but I'm just too excited!

These are prototype 1" scale consolidated safety valves. I sincerely dislike the word "cute" when describing our hobby, but at just over 1" tall, there's really no other way to describe them. Can hardly wait to test them out after I have springs made.

And as the title suggests, these prototypes were started yesterday morning. Everything you see here was machined from solid stock. No castings. The miracle of CNC

I still have a few other injector projects that I'd like to get done before these see production, so I expect these will be available in about a year's time.

IMG_1401.jpg
IMG_1404.jpg
IMG_1406.jpg

Note on the Nathan 1921 starter valves:
If you interested in the SPANNER NUT version, I will have those ready next week, so please let me know if you'd prefer the spanner nut version. There is a delay on the flanged connections.

Anthony Duarte
Eccentric Engineer
wewilliams

Re: Last two days R&D

Post by wewilliams »

A definite *wow* factor...
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Hello Anthony, I would like two of the spanned nut style valves. Thank you, Tom 612-532-6476
squirrel22

Post by squirrel22 »

Also 2 of your one inch scale safety valves when they become available. Thanks for the excellent work. Tom
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Thanks Tom, noted.

I’ve put information about this project on my website and have started a list of people who are interested.

https://www.eccentricengineer.com/small ... ety-valve/

They will be offered with 1/16” and 1/8” NPT adapters, and other sizes can be made by special order.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

all i can say is a big WOW...would you happen to be planning on making mufflers for these safety valves?
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Hoppercar, mufflers are TBD.

It’s been brought to my attention that Australia (and possibly other regions) require that safety valves be manually operable by lifting the valve stem. So, I will gladly offer these safeties with an elongated stem by request.

-Anthony
Andy R

Post by Andy R »

IMG_0764.JPG
One of the things that Barry was working on was a safety valve for 3/4-inch scale. See photo attached. Maybe Anthony you can add it to your list?
Thanks.
Andy
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

Andy R wrote:
IMG_0764.JPG
One of the things that Barry was working on was a safety valve for 3/4-inch scale. See photo attached. Maybe Anthony you can add it to your list?
Thanks.
Andy
Indeed! That would be a welcome addition for sure. :-)

-RM
NP317

Post by NP317 »

With Barry's SuperScale business being purchased, the new owner is undoubtedly woking on resurrection.
Hopefully he will consider producing such items as that small safety valve.
Opportunity.
~RN
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

I make a point to refrain from developing products that are already offered by other suppliers. Since SuperScale has been purchased, I have no intention of offering anything that was part of the SS catalog. There's no sense in cannibalizing its potential success.

However, if I refrained from making things that others were only considering making, there'd be nothing left to make.
I will develop this valve in 3/4" as well.

-Anthony
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Here's a thought for something I would like to see developed. A small prototypical hydrostatic lubricator, that could be mounted in the locomotive cab, they were common on a lot of early type locomotives