THE HARDINGE CHUCKER A FABULOUS MACHINE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

THE HARDINGE CHUCKER A FABULOUS MACHINE

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi all its Dave the old school machinist.

Today I was making the check valve bonnets on the Hardinge Chucker. Primarily I want to show the bar feed. It is a self contained unit and can be fitted to any lathe that uses a 5C collet.It can take form a 3/4 bar down to a 1/32 bar but only 24 inches. It uses about 10 pounds of air and has a shuttle piston that pushes the stock out when the collet closer is opened, pushing the stock against a pre set stop. It repeats time and time again making a precision part every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iafR9MEXVsY&t=209s
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
Fred_V

Re: THE HARDINGE CHUCKER A FABULOUS MACHINE

Post by Fred_V »

Amazing machine. i have a Shaublin turret lathe that I love too.
Can you get more turret heads so you don't have to set them up for each job every time you change products?
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Hi Fred

Yes that is how you save setup time just put on the job turret and set the stops I have a setup piece the I use to set the stops, Check the dimmensions as you cut the first piece and adjust the stops and mark the cross slide dial for the cuts. It just takes minutes. The trouple is that you have to have a lot of tool holders and they come at a considerable cost.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

I made my own tool holders of the Shaublin but i'm a cheap skate.
Fred V
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Crosshead4

Post by Crosshead4 »

That sounds neat Dave! I have not yet operated a Hardinge but have really liked turret lathes. Setup is not difficult and you can crank out the parts. Plus I understand a mechanical machine, I don’t do well with computers.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Well Fred That was what I have been thinking If my Manual machine should break or a gear or bearing goes I can fix it. I can't fix the electronics on a CNC machine i would have to hire someone to fix it.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Yep! I face that very issue as we speak. Right now, my Haas tool room mill is down, thanks to a problem with the power supply. Indications are that when a fuse in the primary side of my three phase supply opened up last winter, the spike killed the supply. From my perspective, that's likely the cause, although I can't be sure. Anyway, I now face a repair bill that I may not enjoy. Time will tell. My good buddy, Patio, thinks we should tackle it to see if, maybe, we can see something obvious that was damaged. A pair of indicator lights, along with two blown fuses, already have directed me to the problem.

Anyone on the board familiar with Haas machines?

H

My apologies to Dave for the minor hijack of his thread. I wanted to comment about potential expenses associated with CNC's.
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JTolan

Post by JTolan »

I'm familiar with haas machines, but only as an operator.