Coal purchase

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

flavinny

Coal purchase

Post by flavinny »

I had purchased about 1/2 ton of coal years ago and am running out looking for a place to buy more. Searching the net I was supprized to find Tractor supply sells coal. and can be delivered to their store.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
Can Anthracite be used in a 1.5 loco, I have an Allen Ten wheeler and in the process of installing a new boiled. Any suggestion as to the best type of coal and or where to get it would also be appreciated.
hoppercar

Re: Coal purchace

Post by hoppercar »

I'm not sure anthracite would burn well in a locomotive firebox, it is a hard coal, and takes a lot of heat to get it burning...
mspetersen

Post by mspetersen »

if you live near a coal fired power plant, some will sell coal to the public. Hard part is finding the right person to talk to.
Mark Petersen

12" x 36" Logan Lathe
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is a place we use because they are only an hours drive to the north.

https://www.centaurforge.com/Coal-Coke/products/277/
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Flavinny, it would be helpful to know what part of the country you live in. There are some big suppliers in Utah still. But you gotta be close, or buy by the train load.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
dmiracle

Post by dmiracle »

Not sure where your located but here is a link to a place in Georgia we use.
http://buckice.com/coal.asp
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

anthracite burns just fine in a loco firebox.

Burn it in my 3/4" tom thumb and a 1" 2-4-0
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fender

Re: Coal purchase

Post by Fender »

My experience: Anthracite burns differently than soft coal. If you are burning straight anthracite, the smaller sizes (rice or pea) work better. The smaller sizes have more surface area and are easier to keep a hot fire. In a narrow firebox (such as on a 4-6-0) it works better to mix about 50-50 with soft coal. The volatiles in the soft coal make the fire more forgiving. If you are burning straight anthracite, you need a constant draft, and a thin fire. If the draft is stopped even for a short time, the fire goes out.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

flavinny wrote: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:00 pm I had purchased about 1/2 ton of coal years ago and am running out looking for a place to buy more. Searching the net I was supprized to find Tractor supply sells coal. and can be delivered to their store.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005
Can Anthracite be used in a 1.5 loco, I have an Allen Ten wheeler and in the process of installing a new boiled. Any suggestion as to the best type of coal and or where to get it would also be appreciated.
bituminous is really the best way to go. anthracite is a lot of work in a locomotive compared to coal stove at home. basically you will be spending more time with the blower roaring sitting still just building up steam if you burn straight anthracite. however, as I tell most people. a 50/50 mix is thee best way to go, it's a lot of work BUT it does pay off and here are the reasons why.

1. very little smoke. you get some but not enough to burn your eyes.
2. less ashes in your ashpan, which increases your range on running time.
3. lot's of heat, which will result in free steam.
4. less clinkers in your firebox, you will have cleaner fire and better draft.
5. less soot build up in your flues in the smokebox.

the key to a mix is getting your coal ratio's just right, for example. I myself do one big scoop of bituminous and one medim scoop of anthracite. I tend to use more soft coal just to help keep the fire more lit. also if you have a sifter screen. it also pays to sift the dust and smaller fines out of your coal for better combustion/performance. the dust and fines will be your biggest enemy as they create more clinkers and more smoke.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I guess you guys burn different anthracite than we do up here in the north-east.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

I start with bituminus, purchased in 50 pound bags from Aubuchon, then run anthracite once the fire is glowing. You can run a nice mix for hours on end, no problems.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I have burned some of the TSC anthracite on a couple of occasions. It did OK in my large locomotive, but I then tried it in a different locomotive with poor results. Some can use it successfully, others not so much. The railroads often designed locomotives specifically for burning anthracite, which is where that big Wooten firebox came from, so don't be surprised if it doesn't steam like you expect it to.

This comes up all the time about TSC coal, but the only way to know is to get yourself a bag and then experiment with it and see if you can run with it.