15” ga live steam club feasibility

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

EVGEN

Re: 15” ga live steam club feasibility

Post by EVGEN »

Dick_Morris wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:21 am Eric Thompson who built the 15" track in the Oakland, CA area started with 12" gauge. Anyone wanting to compare the two gauges should track down an article he wrote in Live Steam about 40 years ago giving his rationale for the change.
I find that very interesting.

And if briefly? What are the advantages of 15 " gauge advantage over 12" gauge?

In my opinion, 12 "gauge is a very interesting. The locomotive is more stable on the track than 7 1/2" gauge, at the same time the locomotive does not look too bulky and there's comfortable to sit in it!.

Image Image

Last edited by EVGEN on Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.
EVGEN

Post by EVGEN »

NP317 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:55 pm What is the most common gauge of equipment larger than 7.5" gauge?
miniature railway: 10 1/4 in and 15 in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ridable_miniature_railway
apm

Post by apm »

I don't think this is too far from feasible. Roll models locomotives are pretty popular at lots of clubs especially in the west. I just measured mine and frame spacing is 13" for 7.25" gauge. I don't think it would be too hard to put the wheels on the outside of the frame and have a small easy to move around 15" gauge locomotive vs a 7.XX gauge one. I think the only minor hiccup is that RMI didn't have castings available last I checked with the counterweights in them as all of their stuff has external counterweights. Perhaps all you would need to do is make a pattern and having some drivers cast up and all the parts/castings are there for a guy to build 15" gauge on a reasonable budget.

So long and short of it is I built one of their Forneys on a 13" lathe and a 42" table milling machine so it isn't too far out of line nor difficult to move as say any other large scale 7.XX ga locomotive.
Donhost4449

Post by Donhost4449 »

Mike Walsh wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:30 am I've read in the past of a particular group that is in the northwest (Oregon? Washington? Not sure...) that built on their own privately owned land.... But if my memory serves me any good, I believe that some locals raised alarm and then the state came and punished them. What happened? They built bridges across natural creeks, etc... Or something to that extent and they got in a whole lot of trouble for it. I think they wound up folding their run?
Yes, those are the reasons that the Meadows and Lake Kathleen Railroad (18" gauge) was forced to close. However, those items were more/less looked past until it was discovered that the owner, Ray Robinson, had a sordid past involving children. Those violations described were the fastest way to put the Ray out of business, and force the closure of the railroad. He ended up selling his railroad and equipment piecemeal on DLS.

Here is an article on the railroad closure, and sex convictions involving 10-year old girls:
http://special.registerguard.com/csp/cm ... /story.csp

Chris
Building a Fitchburg Northern (build log): www.chaski.org/homemachinist/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=107249

My YouTube Videos: www.youtube.com/user/donhost4449/videos