Candice Bergen remembers Disney's railroad

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

stenella

Candice Bergen remembers Disney's railroad

Post by stenella »

On the late show with Stephen Colbert - if you're not interested in the rest, the fragment starts at minute 7.16
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBt0uzNQEXU

Cris
hoppercar

Re: Candice Bergen remembers Disney's railroad

Post by hoppercar »

Interesting !!
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

Wow! Brings back memories of my childhood and a few weeks ago when I was running my 4-6-0. I warn parents that I used to be the kid behind the fence and now I've three locomotives. "Watch out or your kids might end up like me in another fifty years." That's usually good for a laugh.
John_S

Post by John_S »

I was just at Disney World last week and on the way out of the Magic Kingdom I noticed that the lower part of the station at the park entrance is filled with photos of Walt's live steam railroad. This was at the end of a very long 14 hour day at the park and we were on our way out so I didn't get a chance to go through the building and look at everything. I've been there many times over the last 39 years but never actually went into that part of the building. Next trip I definitely want to spend some time in there.

We did take a trip around on the Roy Disney tenwheeler though. Thank god they still run them as steam locos unlike most parks that have jammed a diesel motor into the tender and call it a "steam train" (I'm looking at you Six Flags over Georgia, which, coincidentally has Bob Harpur locomotives).
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

As kids we tried never to miss Walt Disney's Disneyland on Sunday nights (ca.1954) and in those years there were regular segments on the development of Disneyland (Park), including the park railroad, but I don't recall ever seeing a segment on his home railroad. There may have been, and I missed that episode, but at that time I was just beginning to become aware that there was something astounding beyond Lionel so if had seen such a feature that would have changed my life much sooner!
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I'm pretty sure his railroad was featured in an episode of Disneyland. There was also a Donald Duck cartoon that was obviously based on his home RR.
Harlock

Post by Harlock »

gwrdriver wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:33 pm As kids we tried never to miss Walt Disney's Disneyland on Sunday nights (ca.1954) and in those years there were regular segments on the development of Disneyland (Park), including the park railroad, but I don't recall ever seeing a segment on his home railroad. There may have been, and I missed that episode, but at that time I was just beginning to become aware that there was something astounding beyond Lionel so if had seen such a feature that would have changed my life much sooner!
Walt's railroad is featured in a Disneyland episode under the "Where the Stories Come From" segment. It also features Ollie Johnston's 1" backyard railroad as well as Ward Kimball's 3ft gauge railroad, and the classic Donald Duck short "Out of Scale" which was inspired by their shared hobby.

This copy is about 10 seconds out of sync with the sound, but you can get the general idea. https://youtu.be/P2ct3fAPmiQ?t=1927 The link starts at the beginning of the segment.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
piedmontg

Post by piedmontg »

There was also a Little Golden Book - Donald Ducks Toy Train, my copy is says copyrighted 1950.

Bob