House of David

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

dash9

House of David

Post by dash9 »

I was wondering if anyone on here has the House of David Locomotive it was number 5. Sold it years ago with the cars and track. It has a riveted boiler probably the original one. I cannot remember to who I sold it to. (someone in the Chicago area) Cary might be his first name. Had photos of it of course i cannot find them now, I did find one of my son sitting in one of the cars in my barn.
Attachments
house of david 001.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Re: House of David

Post by Glenn Brooks »

You might be thinking of Cary Stewart. He lives in the Chicago area, I think, and is restoring the House of David railroad. Lots of photos and videos scattered across the internet these days of his restoration efforts. . You might google and find the Loco.

Also, I think there may be recent mention of him here on Chaski.

Regards,
Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Mike Walsh

Post by Mike Walsh »

Actually, you might be thinking of Carey Williams... He has quite a few HOD and Cagney locomotives. Both in 12" and 15" gauges.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

Not sure how many actual HOD engines Carey has. I think maybe one 4-4-0 and then he has ended up with the frame and some odd and ends we had for one of the 4-6-0's.
If you are anywhere near Benton Harbor MI I am sure you could get ahold of Carey and go make a visit to the HOD grounds.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

Yes, Cary Williams! Obviosuly a senior moment on my part. He is doing a truly amazing job of restoring the old House of David railway to operating condition. And advancing park gauge railroading in general. Three Cheers, Cary!!!
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Hmmmm. Well It is not me that has any HOD rolling stock or track. I was born in Chicago before the war but came to California in May of 1941. Was back several times over the years. My late wife was from Bridgeman, MI and went to school in St. Joseph. Here family owned a restaurant at the produce auction grounds in Benton Harbor(?) and the HOD always had lots of produce to sell to the wholesalers from Chicago and elsewhere. I did get to ride on the train one summer in the early 1960s but the operation was in decline. The problem was that as part of their religious beliefs they couldn't produce children so as the members died off and no new members were joining the whole thing faded away. On comment my wife made was that the produce that HOD sold was among the very best quality. And of coarse they had a great baseball team. However, on certain occasions a ringer was brought in with a beard. What's a ringer? It was a pro baseball player that played on their team in disguise. There must be others on this forum that have more info than I do.
Cary
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

Oh, by the way. In doing my genealogy I have found that Carey and Cary are often used interchangeably particularly by census takers.
Cary (or is it Carey?)
dash9

Post by dash9 »

Well digging deep I found the bill of sale it was number 7 not 5. Chris Siriano House of David Historeum and Preservation society. Still cannot find the photos they were 4000 ft of rail. May 2 2005