Forum Board Statistics

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Atkinson_Railroad

Forum Board Statistics

Post by Atkinson_Railroad »

Forum Board Statistics.

Acknowledging up front the following inquiry likely belongs in the Site Software Questions and Answers board.

When one scrolls all the way to the very bottom of the Forum Board Index at this site, a label titled STATISTICS can be observed.

Could/can someone more fully explain what the statistic numbers really represent?

Many long time dwellers of this board… since its beginning know there are/were members at this site who
once-upon-a-time posted to the forum… yet… now, are either dead or in a nursing home not participating.

There is also the factor of multiple usernames under one person.
I’m guilty of that myself. I had a screen name here back in 2003 as Signalman.

Given the above mentioned, what do the Total Members numbers really mean for this website?
The numbers strike me as sales puffery, frivolous, erroneous, and meaningless or in today’s age, fake.

Thanks in advance for any authentic explanations describing the true meaning or intention of the site statistic numbers.

John D. Atkinson
VO4454

Re: Forum Board Statistics

Post by VO4454 »

The numbers strike me as sales puffery, frivolous, erroneous, and meaningless or in today’s age, fake. ]
This won't be an authentic explanation as I'm not the owner of this site, but an observation to a question that to me seems a little off.
Erroneous, meaningless maybe. Sales puffery,frivolous,fake, Really ? Last time I checked there were no advertisements on this board, no threat of any coming, and no one forcing anybody to use this site and its wealth of information free of charge.

Vic

P.S. We agree on one thing, this does not belong in the live steam forum. Maybe Harold could move it to its proper location?
For Duty and Humanity
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Events of the past couple years have resulted in citizens of the US tending towards losing any semblance of displaying manners. Seems it's now fashionable for folks to bash others, demean them, insult them, or otherwise attempt to diminish them in ways that are less than flattering or acceptable. By now, you, or anyone who has been on this board for any length of time, should know that I do not tolerate such activity here.
This forum, until recently, was furnished at no cost to the reader, and was provided with no strings attached, although we demand readers behave. While that has changed in a minor way (I'll explain that, below), there is no reason for you, or anyone, to cop the attitude I see displayed here.

To level a charge of fake for a gift that has been provided to you is insulting to me, and it certainly must be insulting to the owner of this board, who has never profited in any way, shape or form for having provided the services we all seem to enjoy. The statistics are what they are. They represent what has been, and are not created for any other purpose. Please rethink your attitude and learn to appreciate the gift you have been granted in being accepted on this venue. I will not tolerate any further insults towards the owner, as he has been more than generous to the readers, and only recently started accepting donations, and those were by request of grateful readers. They were NOT solicited.

Do not present your trump dog an pony show on this board. It is not welcome.

Harold (moderator)
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

VO4454 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:48 am P.S. We agree on one thing, this does not belong in the live steam forum. Maybe Harold could move it to its proper location?
For the moment, it will remain here, but the best possible place for it would be to have never been posted on the board. I'm appalled that anyone could say such things for a gift that has been given so freely for so long.

I don't have a problem with the question about the statistics, but to include the term fake is beyond my comprehension. What possible motive would the owner have in manipulating what is? This is not a money making venture---it's an act of kindness, and I demand it be treated as such.

Thanks for your very welcome comments, Vic.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Atkinson_Railroad wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:23 pmGiven the above mentioned, what do the Total Members numbers really mean for this website?
Look at the members list -- there are no secrets (beyond what people have chosen not to reveal about themselves.) There are a lot of people who have never posted, but so what? Maybe they don't have anything to add. I don't have a lot to add, but I post out of comradery -- the people I have encountered here are extremely pleasant, which on today's internet is a rarity. Should people be stricken from the list, just because they don't post? That doesn't mean they don't read...

The numbers are generated by the phpBB software. 1+1=2+1=3... Want more 'sophistication?' Maybe the software can do that; maybe it can't. But nothing there looks "fake" to me.

Apologies to Harold if he'd prefer we just ignore this. I try not to either throw or fan flames.
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
ctwo

Post by ctwo »

neanderman wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35 pmApologies to Harold if he'd prefer we just ignore this. I try not to either throw or fan flames.
I deleted my post in favor of simply standing with the existing sentiments, and to show respect and appreciation to the owner and to the integrity of the forum members.
Standards are so important that everyone must have their own...
To measure is to know - Lord Kelvin
Disclaimer: I'm just a guy with a few machines...
Atkinson_Railroad

Attitude and tone are often difficult to express via the written word.
It's unfortunate the question was taken as insulting for it was not intended to be.

I'll make note that the statistics are what they are, represent what has been, and are not
created for any other purpose.

Thank you gentlemen.

John
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Thank you, John. I hope you understand that there are no ulterior motives related to the operation of this board. None of us are paid----not even the owner. He's operated the board for more than 16 years* at his expense and has never asked for anything other than a few dedicated folks to help keep an even keel. Some of us put in more than a couple hours (daily) keeping the board in fine fettle.

Precious few of our readers and/or moderators come to stay, whether by choice or circumstance. I've been fortunate to enjoy reasonable health and have thoroughly enjoyed moderating. I've come to know a great number of people in doing so, some I count as close friends, thanks to the board.

Statistics are provided so the owner has an idea what transpires. No information is used elsewhere, especially email addresses. We disclose nothing to anyone. None of us labor under the impression that we have the number of readers implied by the count, and we are all too well aware that some have not only been placed in living care, but that many have also departed this mortal life. We are also aware that some folks departed for other venues, where they are free to use profanity and create dissension and acrimony, none of which are allowed here. Some folks like "the fight". This board isn't a good match for them.

We have a core group who contribute on a fairly regular basis, and some folks who check in only when they are bored and have nothing else to do. In other words, we're just like real life! No one is running for office, and no one is trying to win a popularity contest. We're all just doing our best and trying to share what little we know with those who may not know as much, and are eager to learn, with many just wishing to share what they're doing with others. So long as folks behave and observe our simple rules, that's more than fine with us.

*The Chaski board is one of the first, if not the first, forum that was put on the internet revolving around machining and live steam. I've been on the board for more than 16 years myself---a little longer than the current software, which is totally different from the old "chat room". The dates you see in regards to the member list are dates from inception of the current software, albeit much older versions.

Harold
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

neanderman wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:35 pm Apologies to Harold if he'd prefer we just ignore this. I try not to either throw or fan flames.
While I can't speak for the owner, nor for the board administrator, I sure can speak for myself, and I'm comfortable with the idea that some folks treasure this board as a trusted resource. To voice that opinion is certainly welcome, as that's my attitude and I voice it clearly to anyone who will listen.

I'm not sure some people understand what a treasure this board is. Where else can a person go and be assured that they will be treated fairly, that they wont' be exposed to flame wars, that they can ask questions and receive viable answers, all without concern for being exposed to unwanted advertising and exposure to things one might find offensive (vulgar language, religious discussions, political discussions, as examples)? I can think of no other venue.

Harold
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

As someone who previously enjoyed another message board and have seen it be degraded into name calling etc. I greatly appreciate this site, its tone and free exchange of information. Kudos to the owner and esp to Harold.

Mountaineer.
RET

Post by RET »

Hi,

This may be slightly off topic, but I feel that it is appropriate.

I don't know about the rest of you, but because I'm interested, I check the chaski website and in particular the live steam section at least once a day just to see what is new and under discussion. If I feel that I can contribute, I will add my little bit to whatever the current topics are.

I appreciate that these discussions are serious and helpful and I often learn things that I wasn't aware of before. The board is a number of things, its a community, a source of information on many things including history. It is also a bunch of like minded people that in many cases I can regard as friends.

None of this happens by accident and to me Harold is one of the key people that helps keep things running on an even keel and determines the character of the operation. He has been doing this for many years just because he wants to. My hat's off to him for his efforts. Yes, I know he isn't the only one, but he's the one I know best.

Richard Trounce.
Atkinson_Railroad

It's me again. I'll re-state as gentlemanly and politely as possible that the original question
was not intended as any form of insult toward any individual, moderator, or owner of the board.

That would serve no purpose, especially for me who cares for a family miniature railroad legacy dating back to 1946.

I made a mistake posting the question here. Where I should have went with the inquiry is directly to the source of phpBB website construction... where the premise of the statistic number is decided that it provides some form of information (if any).

In this particular instance, I'll blame myself for being a poor wordsmith and failing to craft a question that would have been more easily understood and also curiosity provoking.

As the thread continues to praise long time moderator Harold with his very unique abilities,
strive to remember that it was noticed he recently surpassed 17,000 posts and it seemed
appropriate to make a a public aplause of his accomplishment. A person here at the board
did that.

In the future, I'll strive to be a better self editor of my posts.

Always enjoying the forum,

John D. Atkinson