Rebuilding Engines and Timing Valve gear.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Alley

Rebuilding Engines and Timing Valve gear.

Post by Steve Alley »

I have seen Locomotive being Time wrong. Reason is main journal is not in correct height of what total weight of engine weight. Meaning if you rebuilding or working on valve gear. You need to take the time before you lift the engine to fine what the gap is under the journals is. Once you know this and make spacer to sit under the journals to keeper. Then place them and lift the engine up to run on air. This makes the driver height correct to cylinder line for the time to come out correctly. If not when you lower the engine back onto track you will find it runs better in reverse than forward. Timing is still off. Just tell all to understand how important this is. I have seen this over and over again a lot lately.
Seems that I can not paste here and file will not load the Allen Models instructions for Timing. But if you contact me I will send it free to anyone wish to have it. Sorry wish I could put it up here.
Steve Alley
Allen Models of Nevada
Bill Shields

Re: Rebuilding Engines and Timing Valve gear.

Post by Bill Shields »

Steve:

If you use the FULL EDITOR & PREVIEW you can ATTACH most anything.

Thanks for sharing this...

I am a few months past dealing with something similar regarding a Southern Valve gear.

I ended up just locking the main drive axle in a fixed vertical position...as did the fellow who built the model that I am working from 53 years ago...not because of forward / reverse but general timing at all locations of the quadrant.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
NP317

Re: Rebuilding Engines and Timing Valve gear.

Post by NP317 »

My valve timing "Parts Kit" contains the correct thickness blocks to secure the axle boxes in normal running position.
My normal timing adjusting method.
~RN