Steam Dome Throttle

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Steam Dome Throttle

Post by NP317 »

I bet the throttle rod runs forward internally from the backhead, and actuates the throttle via a 90 degree rocker and vertical rod.
Just guessin'.
~RN
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Good guess. Just thinkin...……..JB
FLSTEAM

Post by FLSTEAM »

Here is a view of the backhead. Should reveal the secret lever to the dome.

JB
Attachments
Engine Piping bh.JPG
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Thank you to all of you for your ideas and insights. I believe my steam dome and throttle rod is a bit different that most as the turret pipe enters the rear of the dome and the throttle rod goes down through the center of the turret pipe as shown in the attached photo. The dry pipe enters the dome on the boiler center line towards the front of the dome inside diameter into a horizontal plate with threaded holes. I think I can fit a ball valve eccentric to the center line mounted on a short manifold that adapts to the horizontal plate with the lever on the center line so to be a straight connection to the throttle rod.

In the event I can't fit a ball valve I may be forced back to a flat sliding plate type of throttle. In that regard I have heard of live steamers using a Teflon block trapped in a recess of the sliding plate as a valve. Anyone have experience with that type of set up?

Dave
Attachments
999 boiler 064.jpg
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

I have a 1" Atlantic with a Teflon sliding disc. The engine is somewhere around 45 yrs old. No problems yet.

Tim
John_S

Post by John_S »

Check out how I handled the ball valve and linkage here:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 35#p338835

I've built two this way and they work great. Used an off the shelf 3/8 ball valve from Ace Hardware and all stainless materials for the rod and lever.
Fender

Post by Fender »

John_S wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm Check out how I handled the ball valve and linkage here:

I've built two this way and they work great. Used an off the shelf 3/8 ball valve from Ace Hardware and all stainless materials for the rod and lever.
A very timely post! I intend to fully plagiarize this design for the throttle on a boiler I am currently building.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

John_S wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:07 pm Check out how I handled the ball valve and linkage here:

Hmmm, that has possibilities. I'll look into similar ball valve installation into my steam dome.

Regarding the ball valve itself: How do you find the operating characteristics? Can you get a smooth launch without a jump forward or instant speed or easy wheel slip? How about low speed regulation? Can you accelerate gradually and easily modulate low speed?

Dave
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

daves1459 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Regarding the ball valve itself: How do you find the operating characteristics? Can you get a smooth launch without a jump forward or instant speed or easy wheel slip? How about low speed regulation? Can you accelerate gradually and easily modulate low speed?

Dave
The late Cal Tinkham had one in his engine and it was OK. In a perfect world it would have been nice to have something with a more gradual opening, but it was OK and anything else would be more work. I think part of the equation is the leverage factor on the linkage. If you work it out so the throttle lever has to move quite a bit to get a small movement on the ball in the valve, you'd be fine.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

daves1459 wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Hmmm, that has possibilities. I'll look into similar ball valve installation into my steam dome.

Dave
the best way to manage slow speed and heavy starts is leverage in the linkage. i set mine up with "full" throttle is only opening the valve a quarter turn. still more then enough steam and great control
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

cbrew wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:06 am the best way to manage slow speed and heavy starts is leverage in the linkage. i set mine up with "full" throttle is only opening the valve a quarter turn. still more then enough steam and great control
This is an interesting approach. Most ball valves really don’t offer much increase in flow after about half way open but this takes care of that. If there’s not enough flow from that, could always increase the size of the valve until you get the behavior you want from it.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

If you want a rotating throttle valve rod instead of a pull type rod, then use a right angle ball valve. 4847K12 from McMaster is the one I used. It operates like any other ball valve, of course, but one port goes up into the dome, the other forward through the front tube sheet. A little modification of the handle area to attach a stainless actuating rod will be needed to go back through the backhead sealing gland.