Need EBT two bay hopper dimensions.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BClemens

Need EBT two bay hopper dimensions.

Post by BClemens »

OR dimensioned drawings of said hopper car for which I will most happily and greatfully pay an enticing bribe for. This hopper car is similar to any early steel two bay three foot gauge hopper car but the EBT ones are in the era of interest. We would also enjoy a source for Vulcan truck castings in 2 1/2" scale. There used to be a source of some super good looking steel castings for the Vulcan trucks but it appears to have become inactive.

Thanks, BC
BClemens

Re: Need EBT two bay hopper dimensions.

Post by BClemens »

Similar to this: Ordered a G scale EBT hopper by LBG to dimension but it is not correct... and still need correct measurements. May have to be by eye?
Attachments
hopper05.jpg
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

If you find any 2 1/2” scale truck castings, please,let me know. Iam always interested in this size, or even 3” scale for my 12” ga RR equipment.

Maybe some body has some legacy patterns laying around some old dusty shelf, they would be willing to share??? :? :? :?

Would be a boon to the larger scale builders if something like this were more readily available.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Roll Models has arch bar trucks now. Theyre kind of expensive and I dont know much about them, but they have Symington, Simplex, and D&RGW style arch bars
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Tristan, You are most correct with your RMI observation.... The arch bar trucks 'look' really great but 'scale' is not what RMI is after but I will reiterate; they look great. Scale - not so sure....

You are going to be turning some heads with your pattern venture for the Vulcan truck casting patterns in 2 1/2" scale. You are aware that Cattail does the best gray iron castings anywhere but these Vulcan side frame castings may need to be steel castings... considering the light use they will endure, the side frames are 'light' compared to early date Vulcan cast steel side frames. They also have a separate journal box casting which could be eliminated for the 'model' castings. But then iron may be fine - different pattern shrinkage though.

I intended to do patterns but it may behoove us to combine this effort. I also have an iron foundry of my own - McEnglevan type and it does iron very well - its just me that does not like being near that seething 40# crucible of molten iron! The 'sands' are based on albany/sea coal/wood flour/bentonite (western) and the rest of the concoction along with the water... I've made some iron castings but will leave that aside - aluminum and bronze will do. And there was a day when I wanted to build a coupla furnace - still have the coke for that venture.

I have collected many, many photos of the trucks and intend to make a visit to the EBT track site where these treasures are stored. The drawings for the hopper car are of interest since we had intended to make a visit for that as well. The two bay hopper seems to be tough to find data on.
Let us know if we may be of help..
B&SC
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Here is a marvel along with some thrill too... This RGS 20 is doing some work! Thank you so much for this video.... We count 35 hopper cars then some other interesting consist and then a caboose....we watch this at regular intervals to boost our spirit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iR29rdcnaE0

B&SC
Dave_Johnson

Post by Dave_Johnson »

Adam Wright is a supplier of EBT vulcan trucks. Is this who you tried to contact?
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

If you are close to Michiana area the Heston Steam Museum has a 3 bay hopper on site. Sadly, just rusting away.

JP
Attachments
0609181638a.jpg
0609181648.jpg
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2
4 Modern Stake Cars
L&N Caboose
4 Big Four Conversion Gondolas

Like I'm actually gonna build all this stuff :-P
johnpenn74

Post by johnpenn74 »

Can someone post some picks of the arch bar trucks?

JP
John Pennington

Logging meets that actually move logs

Project
2 Mich-Cal Shays
Allen 4-4-0 Narrow Gauge Conversion
Two Reading A5a Camelback 0-4-0
USRA 0-6-0
Clishay
4 Western Wheeled Scraper NG Dump Cars
N&W 4-8-2
ICM 2-10-2