Found 1899 indicator card in a library book

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

k4kfh

Found 1899 indicator card in a library book

Post by k4kfh »

Maybe this isn't really that exciting, but I thought it was pretty cool and figured I'd share.

I checked out a book on the steam engine indicator from the university library because of my electronic indicator project which some of you have probably read about. The book is called "Indicator Practice and Steam Engine Economy" and it was published in 1885 supposedly. This particular book happens to have been donated to the University library in the 30s by the widow of a mechanical engineering student who attended 1896-1898.

Anyway, while I was flipping through the book, a little card fell out of the pages, presumably having been used as a bookmark. Turns out it's an indicator card taken by the mechanical engineer who originally owned the book, dated December 19th, 1899. It's in pretty good shape and mostly readable. I can't make out the location of the engine, but most of the other information is legible.

Photos are available here, they were too big to embed. I can try to post a high quality scan later in the week.

https://imgur.com/a/HrskhlQ

Just thought it was a neat little piece of history.
Dick_Morris

Re: Found 1899 indicator card in a library book

Post by Dick_Morris »

Neat! I can't make out the location, but "dash pot" says it must be have been a Corliss engine.
neanderman

Post by neanderman »

Very cool!
Ed

LeBlond Dual Drive, 15x30
US-Burke Millrite MVI
Atlas 618
Files, snips and cold chisels

Proud denizen of the former "Machine Tool Capitol of the World"
Fender

Post by Fender »

Just like opening a time capsule!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
B&OBob

Post by B&OBob »

Interesting!
It appears the user intended to calculate IHP based on manual measurement of incremental areas under the curve, rather than using a planimiter. That's a little surprising in the Corliss era, but maybe the expense of a mechanical integrator was too great for their budgret. It is also a far better scan than my lab team was able to produce in 1946 at Drexel. The high quality scan you mentioned, especially if contrast can be increased, would contribute to understanding what was going on 120 years ago at the university.
Great find!

B&OBob
dnevil

Post by dnevil »

The location looks like Kaufman, Texas.

Daris
Daris Nevil
IBLS Secretary
North American Region
http://www.ibls.org
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

At the LALS/IBLS meet in 1975 Gary Kubicek and I demonstrated the Indicator Card concept using a X-Y O'scope, a long linear resistor and a pair of pressure sensors on a 9" gage 2-6-0 of 1870 prototype chasis which was on air. The scope came from the rubble of ITT Gov. Systems plant in Sylmar. The plant was destroyed in the Sylmar earthquake in Feb 1972. The rest of the stuff came from various surplus stores around Los Angeles area. When the engine was running on air I used a pony brake to brake the drivers some which demonstrated how a load would change the card graph during a full steam cycle. The face plate on the scope was broken so we removed it and just put narrow black and yellow tape on the face of the CRT. For those not familiar with electronic equipment a X-Y osyloscope has matched vertical and horizontal amplifiers. If I remember right David Rhorer timed his SR&RL No 5 using this set up. The downside was we could only show one side cylinder in operation. My brother Bill was involved with the construction of this system.
Cary
k4kfh

Post by k4kfh »

Cary Stewart wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:03 pm At the LALS/IBLS meet in 1975 Gary Kubicek and I demonstrated the Indicator Card concept using a X-Y O'scope, a long linear resistor and a pair of pressure sensors on a 9" gage 2-6-0 of 1870 prototype chasis which was on air. The scope came from the rubble of ITT Gov. Systems plant in Sylmar. The plant was destroyed in the Sylmar earthquake in Feb 1972. The rest of the stuff came from various surplus stores around Los Angeles area. When the engine was running on air I used a pony brake to brake the drivers some which demonstrated how a load would change the card graph during a full steam cycle. The face plate on the scope was broken so we removed it and just put narrow black and yellow tape on the face of the CRT. For those not familiar with electronic equipment a X-Y osyloscope has matched vertical and horizontal amplifiers. If I remember right David Rhorer timed his SR&RL No 5 using this set up. The downside was we could only show one side cylinder in operation. My brother Bill was involved with the construction of this system.
Cary
As it happens, I am an electrical engineering student, and I actually have an old analog scope that supports x/y mode. I may have to try this sometime, any suggestions on what pressure sensors to use?
k4kfh

Post by k4kfh »

Here are some higher quality scans. I increased the contrast and played with the image a little to try to make the pencil marks more readable.

You can click on each image for the full quality version (it was too big to post on the forum).

Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Looks to me like it says "Kaufman, Tex." and "dash pots not working 1st class".
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Cary Stewart

Post by Cary Stewart »

k4kfh,
The two pressure transducers were war surplus and were very accurate. However, they would not tolerate high temperatures so on air only. The linear resister, about 9" long, was also very accurate and came from war surplus. What brand they were I have no recollection. Like parts are probably still available but I suspect will be very expensive. There may be less accurate items available. Gary and a couple of other fellows were inveterate surplus store shoppers. One of the fellows made what must be the biggest bargain ever. The fellows were visiting a store and walked down the driveway where a loaded truck and just pulled in to unload. On the truck among a lot of other things was a large crate with government numbers all over it. It had been an Air Force surplused item. When the shop owner came out to say howdy the fellow said I will give you $100.00 for the crate unopened. A deal was struck and the crate went home the fellow. Inside was a brand new complete 9" x 24" Model A South Bend lathe with pretty much every accessory that South Bend made for it. All were packed in cosmoline or in wax paper and boxes.
Good luck with your project. I have no idea what happened to the electronics but the engine was sold and completed. By who I have no idea.
Cary