Intermediate Injector testing (Video)

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

Intermediate Injector testing (Video)

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Hi all,

This morning I piped the R&D intermediate injector to my 1" pacific to make sure the design works as it should. Really ought to build a proper test boiler, but this works for now! I took the opportunity to take a more detailed video of how these injectors operate. The video covers lifting, automatic restarting, throttling, and a bit on my preference on how to start an injector.

I am planning on making a very small run of the Intermediate Injectors (20-30 pieces) alongside the next run of Small Scale Injectors (just recently sold out). Let me know if you are interested. I'm hoping to have them completed before Cabin Fever in January.

Enjoy!
Anthony

hoppercar

Re: Intermediate Injector testing (Video)

Post by hoppercar »

Why do your injectors not come with an overflow pipe ?
NP317

Post by NP317 »

If I may offer an answer:
Overflow pipes on injectors have no standard design, so providing one with the injector is not an economical solution.
Their shape and placement is entirely dependent on the installation of the injector, itself. All different.
The injectors usually are built with threaded outlets where the diffuser pipes are installed.

SuperScale injectors came with a threaded stub overflow pipe, so the installer could solder on the required extension.
I do not know the details of the Eccentric Engineer injectors. Anthony should have that answer.
Correct, Anthony?

I just installed an injector overflow pipe on my new Mikado, and it is entirely different from the pipe on my Ten Wheeler.
The goal is to get overflow water safely to the ground near the rails.
And a diffuser pipe is often installed at the bottom to prevent water/steam blasts from spraying the area with ballast and dirt.

I have distinct (and wonderful) memories of early morning fire-ups of logging steamers at the Snoqualmie Valley (Washington, USA) RR museum (now the NW Railway Museum).
Being logging machines they had no diffusers. An unnecessary expense for cheap logging companies.
The wet forest duff next to the tracks would get blasted all around while priming the injector. It left a most memorable smell of wet earth and steam in the air!
When I smell that again, it takes me back to those days of running steam in the woods. Sigh!

There are two diffuser fittings offered for our Live Steamers, in 1.5"/1.6" to the foot.
- Brian Keim (Keim Steam Pump) offers one, not listed in his catalog, so you have to ask him. Mine is presently in the mail to me.
- Dave Bortz, new owner of the SuperScale business recently sold me a diffuser. Possibly new old stock?

They offer different shaped diffusers, both in cast bronze.
~RN
kcameron

Post by kcameron »

A friend at FLLS put a new outflow pipe on his injector for his 0-6-0. The issue was he couldn't use it while running since the outflow was well under the cab. The new pipe puts it out enough to the side so you can tell what it's doing while you are running. Makes it much nicer than the little stub it had before. So I'd agree with Anthony that letting the final user figure out what to do with the overflow is reasonable.

PS: Anthony, you going to Cabin Fever?
-ken cameron
Syracuse Model Railroad Club http://www.SyracuseModelRr.org/
CNY Modelers http://www.cnymod.com/
Finger Lakes Live Steamers http://www.fingerlakeslivesteamers.org/
Member JMRI Developer Team http://www.jmri.org/
mailto: kcameron@twcny.rr.com
In the Upstate New York US area of the world
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

NP317 wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:08 pm The goal is to get overflow water safely to the ground near the rails.
~RN
Russ...agree. "...to the ground..."...and far enough away NOT to discharge on the rail(s)! Might not matter with full sized scale steam locos. Discharging overflow water to our smaller rails makes for slippery track. And that water/grease/grime/grundge/dirt/dust oil mix gets spun up by wheels on trailing equipment. Tis not the easiest stuff to clean off once it dries. Don't ask how I know. Just sayin'... Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!