Whistles

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

BClemens

Re: Whistles

Post by BClemens »

Harold_V wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:48 pm
BClemens wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:29 am Would it be OK to copy and post that article from LS? I ask because because of the magazine being out of print for a while.
BC
Considering copyright, it likely wouldn't be acceptable. However, there are exceptions to the "rule". Perhaps one of the attorney's who frequent this board could offer a professional opinion.

Mean time, don't post anything that carries a copyright. We have to protect the owner of the board, who provides this venue free to those who enjoy his offering.

H
OK, I'll hang onto it. The rag was such an enjoyment and had such great articles I would not want to remove any of the due respect for those who contributed to LS. It was heart breaking that it went away,,, Thanks, I sort-of knew that it wouldn't be quite correct to duplicate it so referring to the article date is the best we can do. Don't want anything to happen to this forum either!
Thanks Harold - I'm on your side anyhow and will always ask even if its a stupid question!!
BC
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

BClemens wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:32 pm The rag was such an enjoyment and had such great articles I would not want to remove any of the due respect for those who contributed to LS. It was heart breaking that it went away,,,
It's still there and publishing every two months. The current issue contains five construction articles and more.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

BClemens wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:34 pm There is an excellent article in Live Steam Magazine on the construction and tuning of steam whistles. I built a four chime one from the article and it sounds pretty nice. It is made using 1 1/2" brass tubing - it's about 10 - 11 inches long....

There is one on the Green Goddess that does that gurgle.... I haven't had time to see what might be wrong with it.
BC
Are you referring to the Green Goddess on the Romney? I have a friend in Oklahoma that has half size model of that engine.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

So You Want To Build... book had an article on whistles and Many many guys followed it. They ended up making poor sounding whistles. The article placed the steam gap so that it split the edge of the bell. I think this is not correct. I think the slit should be to the inside of the bell. The principle of a whistle is that steam pressure builds inside the bell and collapses creating a frequency that is what we hear. I've made all my whistles this way and they sound crisp and clear.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Fred_V wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:21 am
BClemens wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:34 pm There is an excellent article in Live Steam Magazine on the construction and tuning of steam whistles. I built a four chime one from the article and it sounds pretty nice. It is made using 1 1/2" brass tubing - it's about 10 - 11 inches long....

There is one on the Green Goddess that does that gurgle.... I haven't had time to see what might be wrong with it.
BC
Are you referring to the Green Goddess on the Romney? I have a friend in Oklahoma that has half size model of that engine.
This 'Green Goddess' is the RGS-20 we just purchased from Marty Knox - Ridge Locomotive Works.
BC
Fred_V

Post by Fred_V »

OK, i saw that at Ridge club last Feb. Beautiful engine.
Fred V
Pensacola, Fl.
BClemens

Post by BClemens »

Fred_V wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:29 pm OK, i saw that at Ridge club last Feb. Beautiful engine.
She's a sweetie. Marty brought her to Chesapeake & Allegheny Live Steamers track in Baltimore, MD (what a track!) where we ran the #17 for the demonstration - introduction/indoctrination - familiarization run. The 'sweet little' (1/2 ton) engine got into some gravel at a crossover and let us (five of 'us') know that she would much rather be on the track than sitting in the gravel. My wife said that the Green Goddess was showing us who is the heavy weight in our new relationship. There will be much more to tell about this grand little horse. We just consummated a deal on a place on 12.44 acres... retiring so now gotta get to work.
BC
Fender

Post by Fender »

Congratulations on the GG and twelve acres! Sounds like a great combination!
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

hoppercar wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:15 pm Does anyone out there build a good sounding whistle for 1 1/2 locomotive?....I've tried making several my self over the years, never really had a lot of luck....they were always gurggly sounding. watching YouTube videos I hear some pretty nice ones, ...don't care for the european, style, screechy...Thomas the tank engine PEEP PEEP peanut whistles.....
well I have these dimensions for a B&M whistle that I have kept handy for fellow enthusiasts, if you are not looking to build then your best bets are to buy one from Rizzoli Locomotive works or also loco parts.
whistle%20plans.gif
https://www.locoparts.biz/parts.html#Whistle

http://rizzolilocomotiveworks.com/home/ ... -whistles/

and also here are dimensions straight from the Nathan Manufacturing Company.

and the dick bagley whistle design. http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... am_Whistle
Attachments
20374712_10154797023428317_7807586026542142826_n.jpg