Pvc pipe for air ??

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Pvc pipe for air ??

Post by hoppercar »

Was wondering if using pvc pipe for a storage tank, for brake system air is a good idea?...I recently bought a brake system, that uses pvc as the storage tank for air, but was considering using something else for the tank ?
ChuckHackett-844

Re: Pvc pipe for air ??

Post by ChuckHackett-844 »

All 9 of my passenger cars have PVC (1.5" ?) reservoirs. No problems.
Regards,

Chuck Hackett, UP Northern 844, Mich-Cal Shay #2
Owner, MiniRail Solutions, LLC, RR Signal Systems (http://www.MiniRailSolutions.com)
"By the work, One knows the workman"
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

hoppercar wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:44 pmWas wondering if using pvc pipe for a storage tank, for brake system air is a good idea?...I recently bought a brake system, that uses pvc as the storage tank for air, but was considering using something else for the tank ?
As long as you understand the limitations of PVC under pressure you will be okay. PVC pipe will quickly lose strength if subjected to elevated temperatures. When PVC pipe bursts shrapnel will be hurled outward with sufficient force to cause serious injury. There is another topic around here about use of PVC pipe for shop air. You might want to search for it.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

it is a bad idea.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
curtis cutter

Post by curtis cutter »

I just last night completed the removal of all of the PVC pipe I had used for air. Steel pipe now with drops from the ceiling and a reel mounted on the vehicle lift.
Gregg
Just let go of it, it will eventually unplug itself.
10KPete

Post by 10KPete »

IIRC, brake pipe pressures seldom exceed 40 psi...??? If so, I would think PVC would be just fine...

Pete
Just tryin'
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

PVC pipe offers the possibility of failing catastrophically (at ANY pressure). There are plastics on the market that do not. Doesn't mean it *will* fail----just that it can do so with consequences.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I think I am going to take the safe route, and replace this pvc air reservoir... I know this supplier has sold quite a few brake kits like this, but it seems like a disaster waiting to happen to me with a pvc reservoir
duckman903

Post by duckman903 »

copper tubing with end caps.
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Thanks for all the input...seems the majority is not In favor of it !!....gonna junk that pvc reservoir, and go with copper pipe and end caps !!!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I get it that it's easy to work with and use, but it grows brittle over time and can blow apart violently even at moderate pressures.
I think it was "Steamin10"? That posted about removing the pin from *empty* propane tanks, the camping stove type, and that they can be drilled and tapped 1/8"npt and make a good tank?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

rkcarguy wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:58 pm ...
it grows brittle over time and can blow apart violently even at moderate pressures.
At one time I spoke with an engineer at a PVC manufacturer and he said they do not recommend it for air.

Personal story: I had PVC air lines in my shop for quite a few years. After a remodel I replaced them with copper. In the process I dropped a piece of the old PVC on the floor and it shattered into many pieces.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.