Smoke generator

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Smoke generator

Post by hoppercar »

Any ideas out there?...I'm looking for some kind of a non heat smoke generator, I can put in my wooden caboose, to look like smoke coming out the smoke stack?...I've looked at the h.o. scale model railroad smoke generators, but they don't have enough volume for 1 1/2 scale...
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Smoke generator

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Dry ice?
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

Ben go to Harbor models, they make and sell RC scale boat stuff, that have smoke generators in different sizes
Joe
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

There are some interesting smoke generator presentations to be found on Youtube with some searching. Trouble is that most if not all require an oil substance to be heated to produce the smoke. Worse is the oil residue that will most likely be deposited on the roof and surrounding areas of the caboose that will need cleaning. I considered many of these options for my caboose and have decided that dry ice is the only real clean option to be found. I am considering a small stainless steel container located inside the caboose icebox where it can be concealed as it goes from a solid to a gas. a tube will allow the resulting white fog to exit from the stack if all goes well. White colored smoke is better than no smoke at all.
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

how about one of the vapor E cigarettes?
Rex

Post by Rex »

You can always get one of those halloween fog machines. They do require 110V but you may be able to run a small one from an inverter.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Incense burner. Put the burning stick inside a pipe that leads to the smokejack on the roof. Unfortunately, they aren't available in "coal smoke" aroma.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Scroggin

Post by Scroggin »

Dry ice?