Restored Australian garrett in action

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Chris Hollands

Restored Australian garrett in action

Post by Chris Hollands »

Thought this might interest a few people quite neat close up running of one of the largest Garretts built .

Its on utube with the title - Australia Sydney's great steam train race 2018 .

I'm not sure how to post the video , maybe someone can help .
Harold_V

Re: Restored Australian garrett in action

Post by Harold_V »

Chris Hollands wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:13 pm I'm not sure how to post the video , maybe someone can help .
Simple. Copy and past the link to the video. Done. No need to post the video.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Short Line Tom

Post by Short Line Tom »

Here we go!

Cheers!
Tom
wrote: Simple. Copy and past the link to the video. Done. No need to post the video.
:oops: Too late, I already did it.
Scroggin

Post by Scroggin »

Has anyone built a miniature garrett?
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Scroggin wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:33 pm Has anyone built a miniature garrett?
More than one. Station Road had a AD60 in 5", https://www.stationroadsteam.com/5-inch ... code-5924/ , Micheal Guy in Toronto is slowly working on a 2x 0-4-0 for 7.25" , my dad has another 0-4-0 in 5" part built (not his work) (that would be available for the right price...). Heck, take a look at SRS and search Garrett. There is an EAR 59, the AD60, LNER U1, William Francis (a 0-4-0-0-4-0), 15" gauge K1, 2-6-0-0-6-2... the list is fairly long. I seem to think that even the Algerian 4-6-4-4-6-4's have been modeled...

James
jkimberln

Post by jkimberln »

I am slowly building a double Prairie Garratt using Allen Models Consolidation wheels. The wheels set the scale at about 2.25, and the gauge is 7 1/2". I am using the Consolidation front truck plans for the front, rear, and inside trucks. The motor frames were water jet cut following the Consolidation frame drawings. The other plans I'm following are the NGG16 plans from John Young in So.Africa. However my Garratt is a free lance machine and not a true NGG16. Some of the details come from the YouTube videos on the WHR where NGG16 #143 is running. All the little bits and pieces are cast in bronze by me, as I find a need for them. Right now I'm mostly working on non-essential parts. If I really put the time in I could have this engine running in a few days, since most everything except some brake piping, sander tubes, and cab painting are finished.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

I seem to recall there was a guy inWashington state who was building a 7.5" gauge AD 60 Garratt. Don't recall name or what stage he was at. This was about fifteen years ago.

Mountaineer.
Chris Hollands

Post by Chris Hollands »

Here is the Australian AD60 that was in Washington state being built by Trevor Heath , these photos were taken about 6 years ago .

This model has quite a history having been built by the railway apprentices , from what I've been told there was 1 completed and is in a museum in Sydney .

This one was never completed and was bought by Trevor back in the 90s and shipped to the US .

At one stage Trevor and myself were looking at completing the Garrett but it did not work out and I have not heard what has happened to it .

The loco was not designed to run but as a static model so a lot of things had to be redone , it does have a fully cast frame as per the prototype from memory

I remember when I first saw the 2 frames as in the pictures , the driving wheels are very small compared to the my Challenger the loco was not made for high speed but for pulling power , the engine was 4' 8 1/2 gauge
Attachments
BG1.jpg
BG3.JPG
BG5.JPG
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Yes! That's the 7.5" gauge model I was trying to remember. Thanks for the pics and the video that started this thread. Beautiful engine.

Mountaineer.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Contact Dennis Weaver, through Kitsap Live Steamers.
He probably knows the present status of that model. He was working on it with Trevor Heath in their shared Shop.
~RN