Unidentified Niagara device

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

echo

Unidentified Niagara device

Post by echo »

hello,

I was looking at the Niagara drawings that I purchased from the NYCSHS. And I am very curious about the device that sits to the left of the smoke stack on top of the smokebox. It is shown as a silhouette on the elevation and left hand pipework drawings.

I would appreciate the identification and purpose of this device and if possible a clear photo or drawing.

Thank you
Miserlou57

Re: Unidentified Niagara device

Post by Miserlou57 »

I don’t have either drawing in front of me but the Niagara had both the whistle and the feedwater heater hot water line up there. You’re probably seeing the hot water line run out of the smokebox up top back to a check on at an angle near the front of the boiler.
echo

Post by echo »

Thankyou, I didn't realise the whistle was there. That must be it. Its attached to the SH steam manifold which also feeds the blower.

I couldn't attach the file. Maybe its too big.

Cheers
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi
I found a shot for you in one of my books by Alvin Staufer in his book, vol # 1 Steam Power of the New York Central System Modern power from 1915 to 1955, Hopefully, this drawing will answer your question more clearly, Pat Waushakum Live Steamers
From Book by Alvin Staufer NYCS Modern Power
From Book by Alvin Staufer NYCS Modern Power
echo

Post by echo »

Now that i have sorted out the whistle, can anybody help me with the collection of valves just below and behind the safety valves on the right side.

Thanks
little giant

Post by little giant »

Off the top of my head, without looking at the drawings it is either for the power reverse or the sanders. If you have the entire collection of drawings from the NYC historical society there is a piping drawing showing where all the piping goes to.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

pity we cannot ask Harold.....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
little giant

Post by little giant »

Yes Bill coming up on 10 years since Harold left us. Also reminds me of story of Harold helping a gentleman in Florida who built a Mohawk, sorry can’t remember is name. He sent Harold pictures of a Mohawk with valves circled and asking him what they went to. Harold showed me the pictures and told me that I can’t remember what the valves went to, it was over 50 years ago. “Nothing serious” Harold’s usual reply and went home and found the information the gentleman needed in his collection of manuals. With the information Harold gave him, all the valves on that Mohawk he built functioned just like the prototype.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I believe the gentleman in Florida would be Earl Muller. He has a beautiful 7.5” gauge oil burning Niagara
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
little giant

Post by little giant »

Thank you it is Earl Muller, but it is a Mohawk not a Niagara. The only Niagara in 1.6 scale that I know of was Fred Bouffard’s, and another person that will be missed.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

little giant wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:11 pm Thank you it is Earl Muller, but it is a Mohawk not a Niagara. The only Niagara in 1.6 scale that I know of was Fred Bouffard’s, and another person that will be missed.
Youre right, Earls is a Mohawk. I believe the late Pete Bialecki of Florida was building the Niagra down there, but I dont know the status of that locomotive
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
echo

Post by echo »

Hello,

There was little on the pipework drawings. When i looked at the elevation and sections there it was, in outline at least. It is the low water alarm. Any information on low water alarms would be interesting.

Thanks
elevation.png
section.png