Unidentified Niagara device

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

little giant

Re: Unidentified Niagara device

Post by little giant »

Barco low water alarm. Jack Bodenmann made one and I think sells them as well or did. Do a search for barco low water alarm or New York Central J1e.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

a Mohawk with outside admission (slide) valves........
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
That is a Barco low water alarm. Unlike the Nathan alarm it used a Float inside the chamber. When the water in the boiler got low it would blow a whistle, in the cab and on the alarm it's self. There was also some sort of delay that would prevent the whistle from blowing due to water sloshing back and forth in the boiler. This is an 1-1/2" scale alarm. New York Central Hudsons had them also. I have them in stock if anyone is interested.
Jack
Attachments
Barco1.jpg
Barco2.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

DAMN! That's beautiful!
Makes me wonder what other jewelry you have stashed away.
~RN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Dare I ask if it is a functional device???
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thank you for the compliments on this little trinket. And it's jut a dummy lump. LBSC called things like this "Blobs and bits". Which they are, but they sure add eye candy to a locomotive model don't they.
Jack
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a photo of the Nathan low water alarm. This is the type of alarm that was used on the Nickel Plate Berkshires and I'm sure others. Which other railroads used this alarm? This one operated differently than the Barco, which had a float inside it. With the Nathan alarm as we see here, the right hand end had a tube that went down into the boiler to the low water level. Normally when you had enough water in the boiler the top tube would fill with condensate and then cool off a bit. If the water level fell below the bottom of the tube going down into the boiler the water would drain out and the tube would then fill with steam. This steam heated up the top tube on the alarm causing it to expand. When this happened it forced the bell crank on the left end to push down a plunger opening a valve and blowing a whistle in the cab to awaken the sleeping fireman. Once again this is just a dummy as is the Barco alarm, but it's one of them cool little "Blobs and bits". LBSC was a funny cat, he did not like his engines to be called models, they were small locomotives. He was not into fine detailing, just a good running "small locomotive". I don't see why we can't have both, a detailed model that is a fine runner. That's what I'm shooting for with the little 3/4" scale J1e. Too much fun!
Jack
Attachments
Nathan LWA.jpg